Putt butts in the fridge warm

Paul90409

I smoked two bone-in 5-pound butts yesterday—no brine, but I'd rubbed them with mustard and Santa Maria Style Seasoning and left them in the fridge overnight before cooking. They both finished well after midnight. I foiled them in a cooler for at least an hour each, and then I put them in the fridge when they were still pretty warm (just in a ziploc bag, with the foil torn open). i just took a look and there is considerable condensation in the bag. (They're cool now.) Did I totally blow it by putting them in the fridge warm? I'm reheating them today in a crockpot for a party. How do I make sure the meat is nice and moist?

I should note that I saved a bit of the drippings (maybe half a cup worth). Should I just throw the drippings in the crockpot as is with the meat?

I smoked a butt this week and vac sealed into the freezer to hold for a party next Saturday.  I plan to thaw and warm up in a crock pot next Saturday, and I will be adding some apple juice for extra moisture.

Paul, a vacuum sealer is the ultimate way to save leftovers (or smoked meat for later).  When it's vacuum-packed, there is not condensation, and the meat re-heats just like it came out of the smoker.  If you don't have one, I'd recommend considering one - best investment you can make for our hobby!

I made up a bunch of pulled pork for a graduation party, vacuumed sealed and froze. Went to warm up in an electric roaster and it took a very long time to get it warm, I didn't have apple juice on hand so used bottled water to keep it moist. Turned out really good but next time will warm up the bags in a microwave prior to putting in the roaster. I had never used a roaster before and assumed it would heat it right up but it takes a lot of stirring to keep the sides from burning while the meat in the middle stays cold.

I'm taking 5 racks of ribs to the office tomorrow (bucking for a raise ;) ).  They're vac-packed in half-rack sizes.  I'll do my usual - 1/4" of apple juice in the bottom of 2 big crock pots, stand them on edge so they fit, and heat on low for 3-4 hours.  Heat them whole, then slice before serving...they come out perfect this way! 

Back