Pulled Pork

vincel

Ok, did my first smoke over the weekend, 6.25lb Boston butt.  Was planning for a Saturday into Sunday smoke to eat around 1-2 in the afternoon.  Checking the weather forecast (I don't have a covered area to smoke) I could see that storms were probable late Saturday early Sunday.  Understand I've had my #1 for about 3 weeks and have just found time to try it out. 
Decided to do DM's brine with the homemade MHMD rub.  To get the smoke in I decided to start the brine as soon as I got home from work Friday and start the smoke early Saturday to meet the 1-2 afternoon lunch.  Recommended time to smoke was 1-2 hrs per lb plus time to relax.  To be safe I started at midnight (Friday), unfortunately left only 7 hrs for brine. 
I'm an early riser so I woke at 6 am and checked my wireless probe temp...showing 190 degrees!  I'm thinking WTH, already?  Went outside and checked with a handheld and sure enough it was ready.  Wrapped in foil and let rest for 3 hr, then pulled/shreaded the meat and refrigerated for the afternoon lunch. 
I did have to warm up the pork but the taste was great, good smoke and tender.  As good as any I have had at the famous smoke houses.
Things I have learned: 
Smoking your own meat is time consuming but worth every minute.
Recommended times are just that....recommended.  I will now go to bed, set my alarm for 3-4 in the morning and go back to bed!
The most important thing I learned is this forum has a ton of info....without that I would have been completely lost.  Thanks :-*                     

I have been surprised in the past regarding times as well both with my  3D and the Cookshack. Vigilance, patience, and beer or coffee (depending upon the time of day).

Back