Pulled Pork on the #2

BedouinBob

I had a 14# pork butt in the freezer that needed some help so I brined it overnight Thursday in prep for a Saturday meal. Did a simple brine of 1 gal water, 1 c salt, 1c brown sugar, 2T onion powder, 1T garlic powder, 2T Old Bay seasoning. Friday evening I rinsed, put yellow mustard on, and used some Schultz' Gourmet rub from Costco. Then in to the #2 with a water pan and 6 oz red oak on Friday night about 2000. At 1600 the next day, it reached 190 deg IT. Put it in a cooler wrapped with foil and towels for about 1.5 hours. Tasty results happened.  :D

Attachments

• IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 361
No one did sauce except my sister in law. We had sourdough biscuits with it and she made a sandwich with it. I reserve butter and honey for my sourdough biscuits.  8)

That looks amazing! I'm going to do a pork butt tomorrow night, hopefully the results will be as good as yours. I've been able to perfect brisket on my #2... Pork butts have been good, but not perfect.

Looks awesome!

I've never found a butt bigger than 10lbs in the north east. typically they are bone out. is this a bone in and does that add to the weight?

I have been told get over to costco but have not checked their yet. 10lbs tend to be enough  anyway

Tom, yes the bone is added to the weight but it is worth it IMHO. The bone adds flavor I think.

Also, full disclosure, I went back and looked again at the packaging and the butt was closer to 12 pounds. Not a Hogzilla but a nice sized butt. My bad but still tasty.  8)

DivotMaker said:
14 lbs???  Wow!  Biggest I've ever seen is around 12.  That must have been Hogzilla!  Nice!! 8)

This one was 25 pounds. It barely fit in my #3 and was only 1" from the sidewalls in my #3.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2308.0

I had another butt from this farmer that was 19lbs. I made backboard bacon out of that one. They were OK, but a little tougher than a 7-9 pounder from a 200-250 pound hog. The 7-9 pound butts ate still my favorite size to smoke.

Back