Pulled it off little early

• Thread starter Thread starter slojoe
  • Start date Start date
S

slojoe

Well the first cookin went so-so, after the chugging, things went as expected, after 10hrs, IT temp was at 187, took it off to finish in oven, noticed the 8oz of water was not empty, only about half gone.  Meat looked dark with 4oz of wood, its a learning curve, trying the other half of the butt tomorrow, may do what others talked about when it hits the stall, crank it up a bit.

Actually, it was small, I cut an eight pounder in half to do a little testing, Btw we just finished our supper of a very  large bbq sandwich, cole slaw, and baked beans, I do believe this will work.  Thought at first it was too dark but it was spot on for the bark, crust, or whatever its called, all good.

I usually use 5-6 oz for a whole butt, therefore I would have used no more than 3 oz for half, but that is just my preference as I don't like to over smoke. I would rather have too little smoke than too much based on my personal taste. 

As long as your good with it, you can always adjust your liking.  Great to hear, and post some pics when you smoke the other half.

Joe,

2 big questions: 

1. Why would you cut a beautiful 8 lb butt in half? :o  Here's why I ask that - Larger cuts, such as butts or briskets, most definitely cook better when they are in that 7+ lb range.  They're more stable, and just cook better.  Next time, leave it whole, and pack/freeze the extra for later! 

2.  You removed it at 187 to "finish in the oven;"  Why?  I have never felt the need to finish any smoke anywhere other than my smoker - that's what it's for!  Heat is heat, unless you felt the need to finish the butt at a temp higher than 250 (which I would not advise).  Keep it in the moist heat, untouched, until it hits your desired internal temp.  Then, remove, double-wrap in HD foil, and rest it for an hour or so.

Please don't take this as "busting your chops" or anything, but those 2 things really jumped out at me.  Also, your juice pan will never be empty, unless you put a very small amount in it.  You don't want empty.

First question:  Cut it to try and figure it all out, I've had lots of butts, This little one was fine

Second:  Dude, I got hungry!!

Lol Joe, my first pork shoulder got pulled a tad early too, after smelling it all day I just couldn't wait any longer! The rest period really helps it to retain the moisture.

Joe,
The intermal temp is critical for success in smoking butts. Most of the folks if making pulled pork removed at an it of 200-203. I pull at 201. Let it rest for an hour or two. Fight the urge and run thru the cycle. I admit i get tempted once the meat starts to get to 190. I typicallt have another cold one. Congrats on the initial smoke.

Thanks, I got another going now, this one I can leave for the duration, had enough yesterday to hold me a day or two. Using cherry and hickory, moved rack down one notch, everything else the same. Today no smoke chug, its been hour ana half, wonder if meat position has anything to do with the chugging.......Humm

If my theory about wood gasification is correct, then I am sure meat position could affect it.  If the butt is too close to the smoke exhaust hole it could dramatically cut down on air flow, allowing hydrogen gas to build up to the ignition point.

I put in on the middle rack, nowhere near the top, interesting concept , didn't happen today, just cruisin' up to 165 and I'm gonna ignore the stall.

Back