Prime Rib Times

DkHelmet

I'm still getting a feel for the 3D, so the newbie questions keep coming. :)

I'm assuming 30-40 minutes per pound @ 200F, right? I'm looking at a 15 pound boneless* ribeye roast that I'd like to have out at noon or so for a reverse sear. 5AM looks like a good start time. Sounds correct?

edit: just to elaborate, the smoking times guide doesn't list poundage, unless it's invariant for a rib roast due to its size. I claim ignorance.

In an effort for maximum laziness, if I do need a long roast time, would putting it in at 150F overnight then bumping to 200F in the AM prolong the time and keep things out of the "danger zone". I'd like to not wake up at 4:30 if possible.

* Costco makes my decisions for me

Jeff,

I'm assuming this is a primal-cut full ribeye (lip on), in the cryo bag?  These are what I get to make dry-aged ribeye steaks.  If I were smoking it, I would probably cut it in half (they're so long), and smoke both halves on the same shelf.  Why, you ask? ???  Time!  I average around 5 hours on around a 9 lb ribeye (smoked to 128 medium-rare).  If you smoke that long roast, it will likely double that time.  You're allowing 7 hours, which I don't think will be enough.  Two 7.5 lb hunks will smoke like a single piece, so you could start them around 7 am.  They will cook more evenly, too, at the low-temp, and stay out of the danger zone (although that's really not critical, with beef, like it is with poultry or pork).

I would not recommend doing a cut that size at 150 overnight.  That is just not hot enough for large cuts. 

200 on two pieces will give you two beautiful "boneless prime rib" roasts that will be easier to sear, handle and cut for your meal!  Plus, you'll get 4 fantastic end cuts (with the smoke and spices on one side of the slice...we fight over those, at my house!). ;)

You didn't mention what your desired end result IT would be.  I'm usually at approx. 45 minutes per pound to get to 135 IT. 

Since he mentioned that he wanted to reverse sear, then I would pull out of the smoker with the IT around 120, depending on the method of reverse sear (gas grill, broiler, hot oven, etc.) and if the final desired cook temp is medium-rare. Some reverse sear methods for a hunk of meat that big can "cook" it more than others. The higher the reverse sear method, the more you maintain the internal temp and the less of the "gray ring" you will get. Loosely tent with foil after reverse searing and let rest for 30 minutes. There will be 5 or so degrees carry-over cooking due to the high temp reverse sear. You are shooting for about 135 130 maximum final IT for med-rare.

If you are shooting for perfect medium-rare prime rib:

1. Smoke at 200 until internal temp of 128.

2. Remove from smoker & wrap in foil while your oven heats as high as it will go (at least 500°+)

3. When oven is heated, place unwrapped roast on a baking rack in a pan (so it's elevated and all sides are exposed to the heat).

4. Sear in the oven for 5-8 minutes.  Just watch it until the outside is brown/seared.

5.  Slice and serve; no need to rest after the sear - you already did that while the oven was heating.

Everyone has their own techniques, but I have used this one many times to make absolutely the best prime rib I've ever had, and it is perfectly pink from edge to edge!  I believe 135 is medium, not med-rare (in my opinion...not scientific, of course).  Also, the high-heat oven gives the best reverse-sear on a roast; it gets all sides!  This pic is one pulled at 128, rested and seared.

Attachments

• 2015-12-25 16.22.06.jpg
    2015-12-25 16.22.06.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 343
I usually shoot for somewhere in between 130-135 for Medium-Rare.

The guide in the following Food Network page agrees with me:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/meat-and-poultry-temperature-guide.html

Gregg, when it comes out of the smoker at 128, then wrap for 30 minutes, carryover cooking will take it up to 130+, so finished temp is what you described.  If you low-smoke to 135, you will be at medium, by the time it rests and is reverse-seared.  I don't eat rare beef, and the pic I posted is not rare (I think of rare as "slick" looking meat, or pretty much "raw" meat).  I haven't probed a finished prime rib, but I suspect it rises a good 5° during the rest and sear.

I'll follow DivitMaker's gospel on cutting in two and shooting for 5+ hours. Many thanks, I'll post up results as soon as we're all fed.

DivotMaker said:
Gregg, when it comes out of the smoker at 128, then wrap for 30 minutes, carryover cooking will take it up to 130+, so finished temp is what you described.  If you low-smoke to 135, you will be at medium, by the time it rests and is reverse-seared.  I don't eat rare beef, and the pic I posted is not rare (I think of rare as "slick" looking meat, or pretty much "raw" meat).  I haven't probed a finished prime rib, but I suspect it rises a good 5° during the rest and sear.

Yep, we are total agreement and I figured you pulling at 128 because of the carryover. My comment was more to you saying that 135 is Medium, not Medium-Rare, whereas it could be considered on the high-side of Medium-Rare for some folks.

Back