Pork TENDERLOIN

Jumanji

Wife came home with a package of two pork tenderloins, about 2.5 lbs total weight for the two.  I realize now this is a different cut of meat than the pork loins for which there are several recipes on the Forum.  Anyone cooked the tenderloin version?  Suspect the same rules as the loin - 225 deg F and 145 deg F finished temp.  Do you brine these?  Any idea of how long it will take to cook?  Am hoping to have for dinner tomorrow night.  (Although unless I can use regular table salt, the brining won't be able to start until tomorrow morning.)

HELP!!!!  Please.

If you enter "tenderloin" in the search bar, I think you will find a number of posts from folks that have smoked them.  Here's one post that I think will be helpful:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2214.msg14571#msg14571

Good luck with the smoke!

They smoke very well, and relatively quickly, so can be good for a weekday supper. I have sometimes brined them an sometimes not, but haven't tried a side by side comparison. When I did brine, it was for 3 hours, then, brined or not, into the smoker at 250 with 1.5 to 2 oz wood (I like hickory) and a target IT of 145. They usually take about an hour. Yum!

After getting over the panic, I did do a search last night.  Delayed cooking them until tomorrow.  Went to store and got the ingredients for a proper brining. Will probably do that for about four hours.

What I gathered from reading is that they can take an hour to 1-1/2 hours to get to internal temp of 145 deg F.  Will be a good test of the probe on the 3D, in advance of the big cook of a prime rib for Christmas eve.

As the tenderloins are so small and pretty lean, is a reverse sear still recommended?  Afraid that might dry the meat out, or continue to cook to higher temp.  I have a gas grill nearby with a sear station, so not difficult to do though, if that is better.

Hey Michael,

Here's pretty much the way I always do them:

Brined Tenderloin

I don't reverse-sear them...too small.  When you slice them, they are oh-so tender, and don't require a good bark (imo).  Very tasty, quick and easy!

Well, I pretty much followed the recipe.  Mixed up a half batch of DM's brine, with about half of the water included as ice.  The half batch was the perfect amount for the two tenderloins - 2.5 lbs total.  Left in the fridge for four hours.  Took them out, rinsed, mustard, and pork rub.  Wrapped and back in fridge for the afternoon.

Used two ounces hickory, and about a half small bottle of apple sauce in the foil pan.  Tenderloins on a rack mid-height.  Probe in the thickest piece of meat.  Shut the door.  Then a few minutes trying to figure out the programming.  Done.  Set at 225 deg smoker temp and 145 deg F meat probe.  Took 1-1/2 hours to get to temp.  Did not do a reverse sear.

Anyway, so the picture makes them look a little bit pink - which with pork - would usually make me concerned.  I used my Thermopen to check and it was at 145-147 deg right before slicing.  So temp done.  Sliced it up.  Was definitely the best pork tenderloin I've ever done.  Juicy.  Nice smokey taste but not overpowering.  Wife made some rosemary potatoes and broccoli.  We just about finished off an entire tenderloin.

I should have taken a picture of the plate presentation.  But to be quite honest, it was about 9 pm when we ate.  I was on target for a normal dinner time of 6-7 pm, but we got a call from the elderly in-laws in late afternoon, and had to run to Corpus to take their battery-dead car to the dealership for repair.  By the time we got back to town, it was 7 pm.  Late start.  At least I did snap this pic.

So far, two for two with the smoker.  Thanks for the support, guys.

Attachments

• Pork Tenderloin.jpg
    Pork Tenderloin.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 462
Back