Pork Shoulder - Maiden Voyage

jacobthe4th

Hello All,

I've been reading the posts here for a few months and for Father's Day my family bought me a SI#2.  Great design and execution.

Here's the pictures of the two 7.5# Pork Shoulders we cooked, one a with sweeter rub and one with a spicey rub.  I put them in a 2AM after coming back from the bar after playing a soccer game.  Put it in, set the SI#2 to 225F and went to sleep.  Woke-up at 8:30AM and checked on the Maverick, all was underway as planned.  The IT was hanging around 150F and by noon it had plateaued at 169F.  By 8:15PM the IT was 195F and I took them out for their 1 hour rest in foil.  Pulled half each and saved the rest.

I was amazingly easy, tasty and all were happy.  My two boys picked out the rub recipes and they couldn't pick which one they liked better.  All that came over were happy and I still have left overs.  :D

Thanks again for all your posts.  It made my first smoke a cinch.

Attachments

• PorkShoulder(Start).jpg
    PorkShoulder(Start).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 245
  • PorkShoulder(Done).jpg
    PorkShoulder(Done).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 255
Hi Jacob,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post (with pics).  Those butts look great, especially for a first smoke.  You should try smoking baby back ribs next, and no peeking.

For the two rubs for this smoke, can you post them, we all all interested to see and possibly try it out ourselves.  You can post them here or in the 'Rub' section.

Great post of a great success, Jacob!  Glad to have you with us, and looking forward to many more success stories! ;D

Tony,

The first rub was from a post here, it was the "Arthur Bryant's" rub.  The second is from a friend of mine that he uses on his rib's and shoulders.  It's good for about one 7-8 lbs. shoulder or 3-4 racks.  For ribs he has a mop, too.

RUB:

5-tbs black pepper
3-tbs paprika
2tbs salt/or kosher
1-tbs dry mustard
2-tbs onion powder
1-tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup of turbinado sugar-Raw sugar

MOP SAUCE:

2-cups of apple cider vinager
1/2 cup of water
3 cloves of garlis minced
1 onion minced
5-tbs black pepper
3-tbs paprika
2tbs salt/or kosher
1-tbs dry mustard
2-tbs onion powder
1-tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup of turbinado sugar-Raw sugar

I started 4 racks of ribs this morning, should be ready in time for the USA vs. Portugal World Cup Match.  A few beers, some German potato salad and hopefully a win, will be the end to a great weekend.

Cheers,

Jacob

P.S. "I, I believe, I believe that we will win!!!"

P.P.S. They were awesome... US was great, but alas we had to settle for the tie... damn!

Attachments

• Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Rib(done).jpg
    Rib(done).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 234
Jacob, thanks for posting the rub recipe and including the mop recipe, I will definitely try using for my next smoke.

I was cheering for the USA, it was a respectable tie with seconds left in the game, but what a great game it was to watch. 

Back