Pork Shoulder Cooking Time vs. Fat Content

S and M

Yesterday I smoked a small (6.5 lb) pork shoulder at 230.  At the 13 hour mark I  turned it all the way and pulled it 2 hours later at an IT of 191.  15 hours for 6.5 lbs. seems crazy.    Anyhow, it was late and so I saved the clean-up till this morning and I was amazed at the amount of fat in the drip pan.  Never before had I seen so much.  I've done two 7 lbs butts before and they had no where near the amount down in the drip pan.  (Matter of fact, I rarely get much in the drip pan at all.)

So, I'm wondering.  Would the high fat content of this particular meat, be a reason for the extremely long time it took to reach temp???

Yes, I've decided to upgrade to the 800w element soon.

Thanks again

Can't explain the amount in the drip pan - I've had it vary a lot, too, based on the particular piece in the smoker.  One thing I'm certain of, though, is the smaller the cut (butts and briskets), the longer per pound it takes.  Not sure why, but sure seems to be the case.

I smoked a 2 pound piece of butt once that still was only at 180 degrees after 10 1/2 hours, and I'm wondering whether there needed to be more mass in the smoker... a foil wrapped brick, or a bowl of sand, or something to act as a heat sink.  I can't come up with an explanation as to how this would make a difference, but neither can I explain why 5 1/4 hours per pound was not enough to get it to pullable temperature.

Tomorrow I'm doing two  7.5lb bone in butts.  Got the brine going now etc. and some rub will follow.  Due to the length of smoke I'm planning on 7 oz of Mesquite with two tins of apple juice down below.  I'm planning on 16 hours followed by a resting period.  Hope its long enough.

Would like to hear more about adding mass to help maintain heat.  Does anybody do that regularly?

Steve AZ,
You might consider bumping the temperature up to 240. Also, i found the 2nd shelf from the top is perfect for butts. My smokes with pork butt are around and hour to hour and fifteen per pound.

Getting everything ready to smoke ( two 7lb) the butts.    I like a strong flavor and I'm planning on a long smoke.  Will 7 oz of mesquite be sufficient?

11 hours into the smoke.  SI#2 is set at 225 (low and slow) and the both butts are reading 164/163.  Any guesses on how much time it will take to reach IT of 195???

S and M said:
11 hours into the smoke.  SI#2 is set at 225 (low and slow) and the both butts are reading 164/163.  Any guesses on how much time it will take to reach IT of 195???

Have you checked your box temperature, and confirmed it's really 225?  11 hours and only 164?  Crazy.  Are the butts separated, or do you have them jammed up against each other?  They should cook similar to only one, so 7-11 hours should have done it.  You're at 1.5 hours per pound now, and have several hours to go!  Any update on the current temp?

Back