Pork shoulder brine...

Tar54

This will be my first brine using DMs brine recipe....but my second pork shoulder. The first one turned out so good I had to see what brining would add to the mix! I received my Briner and Briner Jr. yesterday and couldnt wait to put them to use! Now the slooooooow agonizing wait begins....lol

Although it was tender and juicy there was a faint taste of the apple cider vinegar...I did not care for that...other than that it was pretty good....my son washed the shoulder prior to going into the smoker....did he wash it well enough? I dont know......was it juicer than the non-brined one? I couldnt tell any difference.

I've done 3 shoulders so far and used DMs brine each time.  They have all been great and never had a vinegar taste.

You could leave the vinegar out of the brine. I like to use Carolina-style vinegar sauce on my pulled pork sandwiches, so I wouldn't notice a subtle vinegar taste in the meat. I don't brine every butt, and they turn out good either way. It's a forgiving cut of meat to smoke.

Back