Pork roast (shoulder?)

damnfingers

When we typically buy pork to roast we'll buy what I think is called a pork shoulder.  It has a thick layer of skin around a fatty sub-layer and when we roast it (or slow cook it on the grill) I've always left the skin on.

I'd like to do one in my new #2 and wonder what the general opinion is as to leaving the skin on or removing it.  I know that the rub won't penetrate it but I am planning on injecting it with a store bought cajun garlic so it will have some internal flavoring and will use a rub on all the exposed meat.  Will I be wasting time that could better be spent on a pork butt or should it turn out okay? 

Appreciate your comments.

I'm sure it will be great. I would score the skin to allow some rub to penetrate. The little diamond shaped bits of skin will crisp up nicely. If you are cooking it to slice as smoked roast pork it will be a great cut of meat. However if you were to try and make pulled pork you will have miked results. The lower shoulder is not marbled with fat like the upper section that is cut off to make the "Boston Butt". Good luck and post some pics.

Thanks for your answer, Pork Belly.  Since I was really hoping to make pulled pork I think I'll go with a pork butt instead of the shoulder then...haven't bought anything yet.

Fingers - go for a "Bone-in Boston butt" pork shoulder for pulled pork; you'll like the results.  The shoulder roast you mentioned, in your first post, was most-likely a "picnic" roast.  I've never seen skin left on a Boston butt, but it's common on the picnic.  The picnic is the lower part of the front leg, and is shaped more like a ham shank.  The Boston butt, also sometimes called a blade roast in some parts of the country, is the upper part of the front leg where it meets Porky's shoulder blade bone.  Amazing that two cuts, so close together, can produce such different results.  The picnic cut is great for slicing, though.

damnfingers,

Do you happen to have a picture of what you have?
The butt is sometimes sold with the skin intact...especially this time of year because it's often used to make Pernil and Pernil isn't Pernil without the skin.

DiggingDogFarm said:
The butt is sometimes sold with the skin intact...especially this time of year because it's often used to make Pernil and Pernil isn't Pernil without the skin.

Good to know.  That must be a northern thing - I've never seen a Boston butt with skin down south, but others might have.

Okay...this is what I ended up buying at the Keesler AFB Commissary (grocery store).  Looks good, hope it's going to taste good.  I hope to have this as pulled pork on New Years Day - from the size can anyone give me an estimate of total cooking time?  I have the Model #2.

Attachments

• Pork Butt.jpg
    Pork Butt.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 308
For my #3 smoking at 225, I usually estimate 2 hours per pound and add a few for rest. So, I would guess you would be looking at 20-24 hours.

I know some can get butts done in 1.5 hours, but mine always go 2+ hours per pound.

I like to overestimate. If it gets done early you can lower your temp to 140 and hold it in the smoker for several hours before you double foil wrap and rest in a cooler for 2 hours with towels on top.

My butts in the #3 always take a good 2 hours per pound at 225-235. It seems the #1 and #2 take less time from watching all the forum posts.

I always plan for 2hrs/lb, but recently my BBs have taken less time.  I smoked a 8# butt a couple of days ago that was done in 13 hours, which works out to the 1.5 hour guideline.  I also brine the butts for at least 12 hours.

Quick question...can I stick the meat thermometer down the smoke opening into the roast to get a temperature instead of opening the door?  Is that what most people do?

Yes...if you have a Maverick or similar remote temp probe, you can run the line from the box through the top hole and plug it in to the temp device.  Works great, and keeps the door closed!

Beautiful butt, fingers! ;)  I hardly ever have a butt go more than 1.5 hrs per pound, but I allow for 2 hrs/lb.  You're generally pretty safe at that.  If it hits 195 earlier, just double-wrap in HD foil and put it in a portable cooler with towels on top.  It will keep for several hours just fine, and the rest is good for it anyways.  You want to do that, at the end of the cook, for at least 30-min to 1 hour - makes a big difference in the moistness of the meat!

Thanks all...fingers crossed all goes well and we're eating well on New Years Day.  I'll update later.  By the way, I'm using a rub recommended in "Slow Fire - The Beginner's Guide to Barbecue" by Ray "Dr BBQ" Lampe (also a Christmas present).

Reached the internal temp of 195 sooner than I was expecting - about 1.5 hours per lb (I was thinking 2 hours).  Lowered the temp to 140 for 3/4 hour until I could get my son here in case I needed help double wrapping and stuffing into the cooler (warmed up using hot water).  Safely in the cooler now and sitting until it's closer to dinner time so I can pull it.

I forgot to take a photo before putting it into the cooler (old age) but I'll get one when I start to pull.  The "bark" looks nice but I tasted a small piece of the dripping on the rack and it was mighty salty. When I pull the butt, am I supposed to use any of the bark for flavoring or is it normally scraped off and tossed? 

When I pull pork, I keep most of the bark with the pulled pork.  I discard big chunks of the bark, but I try to keep as much as possible stirred in with the pork.

I keep ALL the bark. This stuff is like gold and when mixed with the meat that does not contain bark the salt should even out.

Oh my goodness - this pulled pork turned out great!  Lots of compliments and second and third helpings and from my picky eater family that's saying a lot!

I took the shoulder out of the cooler where it had been sitting for two hours, opened the foil and, using two dinner forks, started pulling it apart.  I did use most of the bark - mixed in with the meat it gave it a bit more taste and was not at all salty or overpowering.  Pulling it was like parting the Red Sea - the meat was so tender and juicy, every bit as tasty as any barbecue stand pulled pork I've ever eaten.  Thanks so much for all your help and information.

Here's what it looked like just before I started pulling.

Attachments

• Pulled Pork.jpg
    Pulled Pork.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 317
Back