Pork loin with ribs: results and pictures (if I figure out how to add them)

SmokinSusie-Q

My "prime rib of pork" was a success.  Friday, I slathered (per recipe from BBQ Bash) my pork and kept it refrigerated overnight for 12 hrs.  I took it out of the refrigerator for an hour before smoking.  I set the smoker for 225 degrees with an internal temperature of 140.  I used 3.5 oz. hickory.  The 5 1/2 lb roast was done in 2 1/2 hours.  Since this was much earlier than anticipated, I tented it loosely with aluminum foil for over an hour, while my guests had a few drinks and waited patiently!  I reverse seared it on my gas grill, 5 minutes per side.  It looked and smelled terrific.  It was juicy with a little pink inside.  My guests seemed truly impressed and ate every bite with the exception of one lonely end piece.  I will add that next time, I will take it off at 135, since the lengthy resting and reverse searing increased the temperature past my expectation.  Nevertheless, it was juicy and very tender.

Attachments

• IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 308
Glad it was such a success.  My neighbor smoked one of these during the holidays without consulting me and he took his up to 160.  It was still fantastic.  It seems to be a great pork cut that we don't hear a lot about. 

Thanks, Dave.  Interestingly, I got this pork loin with ribs from Costco over a year ago and forgot I had it in the freezer.  I'll definitely look for another one.

Back