Pork Loin ponderings

Perkolater

Picked up a whole (@10lbs) pork loin from Sams for Father's Day and wondering if I need to make any adjustments to smoke it in my #2?  I plan to halve it but not sure how much fat if any should I trim and should I space half over/ half under or try and get it all on one rack?

Any tips or pointers appreciated!

DivotMaker said:
They'll fit on one shelf, no problem.

Brined Pork Loin
That can be a very important qualifier!
Got the loin in the brine and thank you for that info.  Pretty sure Im going to place the larger end closer to the element and the smaller half on top.  Side by side looks to be a tad crowded for smoke.

The pics in my post were in the #2, Dave.  Not too crowded at all.  Always best to smoke on the same shelf, if possible.  That way, they're going to cook evenly.  As long as there's about an inch or two between them, you'll get good heat & smoke flow around them.

Yes I think they'll fit.  Got them rinsed and resting in the rub.  Gotta get some yard work done before the heat but plan to start smokin around 1

Tony,
Rereading instructions can be illuminating....kindof like remeasuring before you cut.  I thought you were referring (tongue n cheek) to your rubs fitting on one shelf :P...lol

Didnt realize the linked post was using your #2  and after getting the loin halves side by side for the rub, recognized what you were saying.  One of those ahhh moments ::) Now if I can just remember that part about plugging the smoker in ;)

Well once again, I had a smoke box fire 20 minutes into the cook.  2.8 oz of wild cherry from smokeinlicious so I dont think it was dry?  Opened her up this time and blew it out but definitely flames.  Turned temp down from 225 to 175 and let it clear, then gradually increased temp back to 225 after 1 hour. 

I thought it would screw up my cook time but reached 145 IT after 2 hours 10 minutes!  The  Time N Temp guide indicates 3-5 hours so either somethings wrong with mine or that needs to be tweaked maybe?  Whats an average cook time for 9lb loin at 225 ?

Sorry for these ramblings but just wanted to add the loin is great :)
Maybe cooked longer wrapped in the cooler than needbe but juicy not dry.  Very light smoke flavor w/ the cherry wood and gonna try hickory next time but definitely a success despite the belch.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 391
Looks fantastic, Dave!  Yeah...the whole "forgetting to plug the smoker into the Auber" thing was a little embarrassing. :-[ lol.

Your cook time was less due to cutting it in two pieces.  If you have two similar cuts of meat, they will take the time of a single size, not the combined weight.  Your time is about right, for 2 5 lb pieces.  Glad it worked out!

Smoked my first loin today.. Full loin weighed 8.5lbs so I cut in half. Used D/M's brine and instructions for pork loin. Used a bit more wood (4oz. hickory/cherry mix) and the temp probe hit 145 after only 1 hour and 45 minutes. Put in oven at 500 degrees for 5 minutes.. Came out perfect. Juicy and tender.. Will be eating a lot of pork this week!!

I still can't believe how great my initial smokes have turned out. My wife and neighbors agree :)
Thanks again for all the great feedback and information I have received from the SI forum. Salmon or a Fatty are next.. 

Attachments

• 100_1158.JPG
    100_1158.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 447
Beautiful, Gene!  Very nice!  Makes my mouth water!  Haven't done a full loin in awhile, but I know what's on the menu this weekend! ;)

Nice lookin loin, Gene!

Gonna smoke my first one today but going full mad scientist with it: using a variation of the suggested brine by adding fresh parsley, garlic, and onions to infuse aromatics to the brine and adding honey and sriracha.

Also going to wrap it in bacon after glazing it with real maple syrup.  I'll post pics soon.

Back