Pork Loin - My first smoke

Calchar

I fired up my new #1 yesterday for its first smoke.  There were 2 loins in the package for a total of 2.5 lbs.  I used about 3 ounces of Apple wood and targeted meat temp of 155° and smoker temp of 250°.

I generously put a rub on (Steve's basic BBQ rub) and put it the fridge for 2 hours.
After 2 hours the smoker had sneaked up to 265° and the meat to 140°.  I turned the temp down and it gradually came down, but the meat had risen to 160°.  Done.

Result: The loin was delicious, pink, and flavorful. But that rub was too hot.  So spicy hot that it burnt holes in the foil we had covering it up.  Even with this rub, this was the best tasting pork we've ever had.  My wife does not like BBQ sauce, so my recipes are kinda limited.

Any suggestions on a tamer rub? 

Oh, just realized that this was your first post. So, welcome to the forum!

When you get a chance start a new thread in the Introductions section to tell us a little bit about yourself. We like to know more about our new friends. I can see your name is Terry :), but putting your name and city in your signature lets us know where our new friends are from.

I like this for pork.  A bit of heat, but not crazy.  I'm not a super melt your mouth fan either.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/competition-beef-n-pork/#axzz3PTn2vSGd

They do make some potent stuff so be careful if you look around the website. 

Welcome aboard.

John

I have found the Memphis Dust is really good on ribs, but a little bland on a boston butt or pork loin. Can't go wrong with Famous Dave's Rib Rub.

Terry,
It sounds like you did a tenderloin and not a loin.  For pork, one can't go wrong with some garlic, brown sugar and some kosher salt.  But typically, I marinate a tenderloin and skip the rub all together.

Thanks for all the advice.  Yes, tenderloin.  I'm still getting my terminology straight.  I want to try a marinade too.  Any recommendations? So many things to smoke and so many ways to do it.  :) 

Soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh or minced garlic and some apple juice.  With meat like the tenderloin, it only takes a couple of hours in the marinade. 

Hi Terry!  Glad to have you in the coolest BBQ club on the planet! 8)

I agree with everyone's advice, and good to see you now know that was a tenderloin.  A full pork loin is much bigger.  I'm a Famous Dave's Rib Rub fan, for sure - great off-the-shelf rub on pork.  You should Memphis Dust, especially if you like a real mild rub.  It has good flavor, but I find it pretty bland.  I like bark with a little "kick!"  Not rip your lips off hot, like some, but enough to warm you up a bit.

Hang out with us often, and remember to take pics next time! ;)

Soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh or minced garlic and some apple juice.  With meat like the tenderloin, it only takes a couple of hours in the marinade.

You can substitute a flavorful beer for for the Apple Juice. For 2 Tenderloins I would go with 1/8 cup soy, 3
tablespoons B. Sugar, 3 large Garlic Cloves, 6 oz beer. That combination is great on all meat.

The benefit of using beer in your pan is that you get to drink some while waiting for your Q to finish smoking. If you drink enough of it, even a bad smoke will taste good.

Back