Pork Chops

dannyboy

Tried something new this evening. Since Costco was closed, so no baby backs. I went  to Publix and got some thick cut pork chops. When I got home I decided to try them in the smoker. No rub, just some hickory wood and 225 degrees, with  apple juice in the pan.  Awesome is all I can say. We will be doing this more often. I used my temp gauge cooked them too 165. Took them out, they were tender and moist. This is probably old news to most of you, but we enjoyed them.

dannyboy said:
Tried something new this evening. Since Costco was closed, so no baby backs. I went  to Publix and got some thick cut pork chops. When I got home I decided to try them in the smoker. No rub, just some hickory wood and 225 degrees, with  apple juice in the pan.  Awesome is all I can say. We will be doing this more often. I used my temp gauge cooked them too 165. Took them out, they were tender and moist. This is probably old news to most of you, but we enjoyed them.

How thick were your chops, and how long did you smoke them.  No brining?  Everything I read insists that chops will be dry if not brined.  Any pictures?

I don't think it's old news. Pork chops are challenging, no matter what you do. If they are loin chops, the meat is dense and there is no fat. I like that you found a simple and non-fussy way to make them delicious for a quick weeknight meal. Save all the fuss for those other cuts of meat! We need more ideas for when we don't have the extra prep time, but still want to smoke!

Sounds good, Danny!  Sometimes "simple" is the best way to go!  If those were boneless loin chops (the oval slices, from a pork loin), you can pull them at 145-150 and they'll be great.  Pork doesn't have to go to 165 anymore; the USDA revised the guideline to 145 for today's pork. 

Hey Sue sorry I'm just now getting back with you. I got them at Publix, I would say they were a good 1" or 1 1/4" thick. They were loin chops with just a little fat on the edge.  They were dryer than most folks would like, but we loved them. Tender and good smoke flavor. Next time I may foil them half way thru and see what that does.

DivotMaker said:
Sounds good, Danny!  Sometimes "simple" is the best way to go!  If those were boneless loin chops (the oval slices, from a pork loin), you can pull them at 145-150 and they'll be great.  Pork doesn't have to go to 165 anymore; the USDA revised the guideline to 145 for today's pork.

+1!
145 for pork. Especially for your loin chops! It is amazingly better than 165.

dannyboy said:
They were dryer than most folks would like, but we loved them. Tender and good smoke flavor. Next time I may foil them half way thru and see what that does.

No foil required!  Just pull them at 145 and they'll be a lot more moist.  You can also brine pork chops (recommended, actually) for 2-3 hours, which also makes a huge difference in moistness.  Foil is for the bottom of the smoker, and for wrapping meat that you are going to rest in the cooler - not in the smoker! ;)

Back