Pork Butt Roast for pulled BBQ Pork (with videos)

jamiedolan

Pork Butt Roast -- Getting Started - Seasoning the roast with a rub and oil

First video:

http://jamiedolan.com/2013/12/27/pork-butt-roast-getting-started-seasoning-the-roast-with-a-rub-and-oil/

I weighed out a total of 5.9 ounces of wood, 2 blocks of hickory and 1 of cherry:

CameraZOOM-20131227212548944-001.jpg

Looks good, Jamie.  One thing you might try is to use yellow mustard as a binder for the rub.  What??  Yep, plain old yellow mustard!  I couldn't believe it when I learned this, but it's a great binder!  The mustard leaves absolutely no taste behind, and makes the rub stick better than anything else!  Crazy, but true!

DivotMaker said:
Looks good, Jamie.  One thing you might try is to use yellow mustard as a binder for the rub.  What??  Yep, plain old yellow mustard!  I couldn't believe it when I learned this, but it's a great binder!  The mustard leaves absolutely no taste behind, and makes the rub stick better than anything else!  Crazy, but true!

Thanks for the tip. 

I'm heading to bed for the night, I checked on it just a little while ago and we are already at 100 at 2:35 in:

slow-001.jpg

Yep, they'll climb quick the first few hours, but once you get in the 160s-170s range, that forward progress grinds to a screeching halt (or should I say "stall.").  It usually takes several hours to work through it.  Let us know how they turned out this morning!

172 at  14 hours and 19 minutes for a butt roast that is a bit over 7 pounds, that seems to be on the slow side from everything I've read.  I've not had the door open, it's just been closed up and running.

It's slowly climbing, but does this seem right that a roast of this size could end up taking this long?  I'm thinking it going to be at least 16 to 17 hours at this point to reach my target of 203.

Jamie

CameraZOOM-20131228122045490-001.jpg

Bump your temp up to 250; won't hurt at this point, and should get it through the stall quicker (that's probably what's happening now).  This is where a unit like the Maverick ET732 is handy - you can monitor your box temp and the meat.

Yes, it's taking longer than it should, but the cut of meat may also be contributing to that.  I've cooked Boston butts that were done in a little over an hour per pound, and some that have been 2 hours per pound.  Every piece cooks different, based on the density of the muscle, fat and connective tissue content.  Hang in there, and you're good to take it out 199-200; it'll be fine.

By the way, do you have a large drip pan below the meat?  Sometimes, that will lead to low box temp and long cook times.

DivotMaker said:
Bump your temp up to 250; won't hurt at this point, and should get it through the stall quicker (that's probably what's happening now).  This is where a unit like the Maverick ET732 is handy - you can monitor your box temp and the meat.

Yes, it's taking longer than it should, but the cut of meat may also be contributing to that.  I've cooked Boston butts that were done in a little over an hour per pound, and some that have been 2 hours per pound.  Every piece cooks different, based on the density of the muscle, fat and connective tissue content.  Hang in there, and you're good to take it out 199-200; it'll be fine.

By the way, do you have a large drip pan below the meat?  Sometimes, that will lead to low box temp and long cook times.

HI;

I moved the temp up to 250 per your suggestion, just after I got your message, almost an hour ago now (at a little over 15 hours on the timer and at 174 degrees).

So with around an additional hour with it running at 250 we are here:
CameraZOOM-20131228140144676-001.jpg

Karen thinks this was more like 7.1 pounds that she purchased from the butcher, I had thought it was closer to 8 before.

I do not have a drip pan in there.  This is the smoker setup (sorry I didn't get a wider shot). 

#3 smoker
No rack in bottom slot.
2nd slot has rack with the Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor hanging from it (in the middle right over the burner area)with about 2 cups of apple cider in it.
3rd rack position has the roast on it
Nothing above the roast, just the thermometer cord coming out the hole on the top.

Bottom is lined with foil and the top of the smoker / firebox lid is wrapped in foil.

No pan in there, just the foil and the flavor savor unit in there with the apple cider in it.

Based on the last hour, it looks like it is rising around 6 degrees an hour and is currently at 182, so I'm calculating that even at 250, it could still be another 3 hours from now before I get that additional 18 degrees that beings me up to the 199-200 range. 

That puts my total cook time at close to 20 hours for a roast that is somewhere between 7 and 8 pounds.  That works out to closer to 2.5 to 2.75 hours a pound, even with the boost to 250.

I'll get one of the mavricks or similar so I can monitor box temp as well.  Do you think there is any chance my box is running to the cool side for some reason (e.g. I had it set to 225 for the first 15 hours, but if it was really only 210 that might explain the slowness)?

I guess what I will need to do is to check the box temp when I have no meat in there any see what I get.

CameraZOOM-20131227214331017-001.jpg

Thanks again for the guidance.

Jamie

Jamie, you don't want to check the box temp with nothing in it; it will be all over the page.  You need to test it with something in there to absorb the heat (water pan, meat).  By doing this, you'll know where to set your dial for the perfect temp.  If your dial is off, it can be adjusted.  Here's instructions Ben posted on this:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1219.0

It sounds like you're lower than it should be, but I bet that butt will be incredible!

DivotMaker said:
Jamie, you don't want to check the box temp with nothing in it; it will be all over the page.  You need to test it with something in there to absorb the heat (water pan, meat).  By doing this, you'll know where to set your dial for the perfect temp.  If your dial is off, it can be adjusted.  Here's instructions Ben posted on this:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1219.0

It sounds like you're lower than it should be, but I bet that butt will be incredible!

Thanks for sharing that link, I'll read that over this evening.

I have a quick related question.  The sauce that I like to make for my pulled bbq pork calls for broth.  I typically boil my butt roast and reduce the stock down to a couple cups and use it in the sauce recipe. 

I obviously don't have the broth this time, there was no pork stock canned in the store, do you think I should use chicken or beef stock for the recipe?

Thanks

Jamie

Current temp - not too long to go (as of about 3 minutes ago):

CameraZOOM-20131228154215381.jpg

I would think beef stock would be a good substitute.  Here's a link to my St Louis BBQ sauce that (I think) is fantastic on pulled pork:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=772.0

Give it a try some time, and let me know what you think!  It's the family favorite.

DivotMaker said:
I would think beef stock would be a good substitute.  Here's a link to my St Louis BBQ sauce that (I think) is fantastic on pulled pork:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=772.0

Give it a try some time, and let me know what you think!  It's the family favorite.

Thanks, I got some beef stock.  I had to run out to the store at around 5 (about 1:45 ago and was afraid it would get too done / too warm if I left it at 250), so I dropped it back to 225 while I was gone, expecting it would probably be really close to temp when I got home.

Well when I got home I found....

CameraZOOM-20131228174122456-001.jpg

So it's back up to 250 now and will very hopefully edge up the last few degrees very soon.  This is a very long smoke.  I've not opened the door at all and I've not had it any lower than right about 225.

Thanks,

Jamie

It actually went to 204 just before I took it out, I didn't mean to let it get that high, but it was fine.

I have to look at the video on my phone, but I think the final time was about 21 hours and 30 minutes.

CameraZOOM-20131228184839231.jpg

Check out the bark on this meat.  We ate about half of it tonight between the two of us.  I'll upload the videos I took tomorrow.  It was awesome. 
CameraZOOM-20131228190840393.jpg

CameraZOOM-20131228190845914.jpg

CameraZOOM-20131228190954502.jpg

CameraZOOM-20131228190958250.jpg

CameraZOOM-20131228191002162.jpg

Wow that does look pretty good. Epicly long smoke of course. Interested to see what temps are actually present in your smoker when you get a dual temp thermometer.

That looks incredible!  Great bark, moist inside; couldn't be better!  If it tasted half as good as it looked, you must have been very happy!  Like Ben said - it'll be interesting to see what your box temp is reading on your next smoke.

Looks great!!!

QUESTION: why would a large drip pan cause low smoker temperatures?  I guess my real question is where is the SI units temperature probe? Or possibly how does the SI controller work (e.g, is there a thermocouple for feedback? Is it just a rheostat with some sort of internal timing mechanism that determines on/off duty cycle based on dial setting?)

Steve, it's just a rheostat with a thermocouple in the box (you can see it on the back wall).  I don't know the science behind it, but a large pan under the meat seems to always cause false readings on the thermocouple (to the high side), and cause the box temp to be low.  This has been pretty-well documented on more than one forum.  Bottom line - foil the smoke box and bottom, and don't worry about catching the drippings!

Great! Empirical data is proof enough for me!!! Out with my drip pan as of today it's gone!!!

That might have been some of my sporadic readings ( which is why when I bypassed the controller I took rickne's advise to do so in a reversible fashion). 

Will look closer for thermocouple... It was poorly lit when I was poking around in there without a flashlight.

Back