pork butt and brisket at the same time for tacos

YEABOYVIRGINIA

Hey guys! I want to do a mexican smoke and do a pork butt and a brisket at the same time. Looking for any and all advice on the topic .... should I add any extra wood? which meat should be racked higher? should i try to buy similar weight/sizes, and will they be done around the same time? do you think i can do simple bbq brines (just for the butt. not brining the brisket, actually) and rubs and just do mexican toppings on the tacos or would you use a latin-leaning rub?

I'm planning on puttin 'em in late on friday night, around 11 or midnight. double wrap and throw in a yeti when theyre done until ppl come over around 5pm.

thanks everyone!!

No need for extra wood, 6 - 8 oz. will get it done.  When this topic has come up before, most advocate the pork butt being on the bottom.  My experience has been that the cook times per pound are pretty close so I would try to make them of similar size.  The butt will shield heat from the brisket so I would expect the brisket to be done after the pork butt.  If you only have one meat probe, probe the butt first and then move it to the brisket once the butt is done. 

Brine the pork butt and I like to inject my briskets.  If you are using a brisket flat, this is even more important than if you are using a packer brisket.

YEABOYVIRGINIA said:
Thanks Dave! Even with two big pieces of meat in there you still think approx 1.5hrs/lb?
Give or take. The only thing the 2 pieces of meat really does is cause it a little longer to come up to temperature. Again, your brisket is going to take longer by being on top.

Back