Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Sure Tony...Cut into cubes and seasoned with Killer Hogs rub and arranged on a cooling rack. Smoked at 250 with cherry wood for 2.5 hours. Pthrow them in an alunimum pan, speinkle brown sugar, drizzle with honey and 1 stick of butter cut into small pieces, cover pan with foil then back in for 2 hours. Drain juice. Make a glaze with 1 cup of bbq sauce, 1/4 cup apple juice, 1/4 cup apple jelly and 2 Tbsp hot sauce and hear through to blend everything. Toss with pork belly then back in the SI2 for 10 minutes. I think this is probably supposed to be an appetizer but it was dinner at my house. 

I got a 12lb belly yesterday for my first bacon. I cut about 2lbs off to try these burnt ends today.
2 birds with one 12lb stone.

I wasn't prepared to go quite as complex on the glaze and such, but the concept is sound and I will definitely be exploring this a little more. I totally missed the seasoning, way too low on the salt. Even with that, totally delicious and a great inspiration. Thank you!
Details....
Simple house rub. This is where I screwed up, I think I put in half the kosher salt I usually do.
2.5 hrs @ 250F with about 2oz of cherry.
Removed, and wrapped with  butter, a splash of Stubs bbq sauce, and a few glugs of a nice brown ale home brew I had needing drank up.
250F for about 2 more hours.
I did not do a finishing glaze. Wife is super strict on her carbs, it wasn't a cheat day for her, so I left it out. I had some bbq for dipping when we ate.
IMG_20180520_180246_zpsolmidl9w.jpg

Back