PID with Wifi

raymillsus

Can anyone recommend a PID with WIFi built in? I think if I am going the route of adding a PID when I get my #3 one with Wifi that I can monitor via an App from anywhere would be nice. My ideal situation is to be able to monitor it and control it during long smokes from other places than home. 

Check out this thread.  I believe they can be purchased as well.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2765.0

That is awesome thanks, but way beyond my skills. I did not see in the long thread how much for his setup. Looks like what I would want.

raymillsus said:
Walt said:
Tman has some for sale.

Any idea how much they were? I am about to pull the trigger on a #3 Wondering if I should wait.
I wouldn't wait.  The smoker functions great without all the bells and whistles and can always be added.

I agree with Dave. Get it and start enjoying some great smoked meats. While I have a #2 with a separate Auber PID, I rarely use the Auber. It is a real pleasure to just set the temp and let the #2 do the work.

Now that you've ordered your #3, if you don't already own a wired thermometer (you probably do), consider purchasing a Maverick or Thermopro and dropping the wires down the top hole. They are bluetooth, and are what most of us use with the analog controller. If you want multiple probes, Wifi, and an app to control and graph your cooks, you can splurge on something like Fireboard or Tappecue. (Awesome) There are a lot of other similar options out there too. After a few smokes, you might find you don't really need the Auber or Heatermeter precision for box temp. But if you do, you can always add it later. It's a personal preference. There are only a few situations in my mind, like cold smoking, etc., where that kind of precision would be very helpful. I can successfully small scale cold smoke without it though.

SconnieQ said:
Now that you've ordered your #3, if you don't already own a wired thermometer (you probably do), consider purchasing a Maverick or Thermopro and dropping the wires down the top hole. They are bluetooth, and are what most of us use with the analog controller. If you want multiple probes, Wifi, and an app to control and graph your cooks, you can splurge on something like Fireboard or Tappecue. (Awesome) There are a lot of other similar options out there too. After a few smokes, you might find you don't really need the Auber or Heatermeter precision for box temp. But if you do, you can always add it later. It's a personal preference. There are only a few situations in my mind, like cold smoking, etc., where that kind of precision would be very helpful. I can successfully small scale cold smoke without it though.

I do have the Maverick. Been using it for years. Wish it had more inputs but all in all a good unit.

cookingdude555 said:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

Just curious if anyone's tried this Auber with wifi?

TIA,
Brent

Looks like a sweet setup, I already have two Aubers PID's or it would certainly be something I would seriously look at.

Two meat probes built in is nice.  But the instructions for auto-tune are poorly written. Why they use a rice cooker for an example is beyond my capacity to comprehend.

old sarge said:
Two meat probes built in is nice.  But the instructions for auto-tune are poorly written. Why they use a rice cooker for an example is beyond my capacity to comprehend.
LOL, good catch - nothing like a well written Tech Manual :-)

I have a few bike mods/repairs slated for the next few months - if they go under budget (does this ever happen?), I'll think about getting this one or building up one of those HeatMeters .... we'll see.

Thanks for the replies!

You can probably pick up a used Auber pretty cheap (lots of them out there, owned by folks who now have D model smokers).  Instead of WiFi PID, you can add a Fireboard thermometer and get 7 probes with WiFi and graphing.  Plus, it can be used in other devices (I use mine in the oven all the time). 

Thanks, Tony! I'll definitely check that (and back on this thread) before I make any decision!

Back