Picnic Shoulder

damnfingers

Finally found my picnic shoulder this morning and have a couple of questions.  Before I got my #2 I used to use a charcoal smoker with these shoulders...I'd leave them in until the meat started pulling back from the bone, take them out, cut slices off and enjoy them.  Not a lot of smoky flavor but the kitchen wasn't being heated by the over in the summer time either.

I want to try something different with the #2.  I plan on removing the skin  (make cracklin's with it later) and smoking it like I would a butt, BUT I'd like to get slices as well as some pulled pork out of it which means I need to take it out when the internal temperature hits 175, remove the slices, then put it back in to cook longer to get the pulled pork. 

Which of the following should I do when I put it back in?
1.  Add more wood to get smoke to the newly exposed meat?
2.  Add rub to the newly exposed meat?
3.  Foil it?
4.  All of the above, part of the above, none of the above?

Thanks for your thoughts!

damnfingers said:
Finally found my picnic shoulder this morning and have a couple of questions.  Before I got my #2 I used to use a charcoal smoker with these shoulders...I'd leave them in until the meat started pulling back from the bone, take them out, cut slices off and enjoy them.  Not a lot of smoky flavor but the kitchen wasn't being heated by the over in the summer time either.

I want to try something different with the #2.  I plan on removing the skin  (make cracklin's with it later) and smoking it like I would a butt, BUT I'd like to get slices as well as some pulled pork out of it which means I need to take it out when the internal temperature hits 175, remove the slices, then put it back in to cook longer to get the pulled pork. 

Which of the following should I do when I put it back in?
1.  Add more wood to get smoke to the newly exposed meat?
2.  Add rub to the newly exposed meat?
3.  Foil it?
4.  All of the above, part of the above, none of the above?

Thanks for your thoughts!

If it was me, I would not worry about adding more wood and just foil it and place back in.

I sure others will jump in here also.

Greg

I only use picnics for slicing and would leave the pulled pork for butts.

The problem is that smoke absorption normally stops when the internal temp hits 140. But with freshly exposed meat after the slicing you may get some smoke absorption by adding some more wood.

I think this question is kind of nee territory for many of us.

If you haven't pulled a picnic cut before I'd stay with slices too.  I did one to pulled a while back and was disappointed in the results. 

Gene, sometimes trying to get mixed results out of one piece of meat can lead to less-than-stellar outcomes.  Personally, I'd only smoke a picnic for slicing, which is very good.  The picnic for pulled pork? ...not so much!  I'd grab a good ol' bone-in Boston butt to throw in with it, and pull the picnic out at 175, then let the Bostonian march on to great pulled pork!

Removed it from the #2 after 11 hours - internal temp 175 according to two probes.  Outer edges almost appear to be in pulled pork shape - pulling apart when you touch it.  Foiled, wrapped in towels and now resting in a warmed up cooler waiting for supper (might have to eat early tonight).  Another follow-up after dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 336
Hey Gene, how was the juiciness of the shoulder? I have generally left the skin on and did a brine for ham in the past, which turned out really good. I can get these every now and then but I haven't tried it for pulled pork since butts are just so darn good.  :)

Great taste but I'm glad I decided NOT to try double using this shoulder (slices/pulled pork) and to go just with slices...although even at that the meat was pretty well done at 175 internal...I'd have preferred it a little moister.  Maybe I shouldn't have removed the skin BUT then there would have been very little surface area for the smoke to work it's magic.  Learning, always learning.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 330
It does look a little dry. This is the reason that I rarely if ever smoke picnics. Even if I plan on slicing, I still usually use a Boston Butt. Taking that one up to 195 to pull probably would not have been good.

Looks like a nice meal on the plate though.

Lesson learned.  Funny though, when I was using the charcoal "smoker" and going by appearance (meat starting to pull away from the end of the bone) these picnics always turned out great.

It sure looks good, Gene!  To add moisture, you might try brining, especially for a picnic.  They tend to be a little drier than a Boston butt.  Amazing what a difference the brine makes!

DivotMaker said:
It sure looks good, Gene!  To add moisture, you might try brining, especially for a picnic.  They tend to be a little drier than a Boston butt.  Amazing what a difference the brine makes!

+1 on the brining!

Back