Pepper-free rub for a brisket?

Chris633

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forum for the last couple months. And I've been smoking about as long. The info here has made my first attempts at smoking go great!

I plan on smoking a brisket for Father's Day for my parents. Up to this point, I have been using Jeff's rub for everything. The problem this weekend is that my mom has a stomach condition that is triggered by anything "spicey." So if it makes your mouth tingle in the least, it is too much for her. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a tasty rub that doesn't include pepper? I was considering just making a small batch of Jeff's minus the pepper, but I wanted to see what others thought. Thank you in advance!

Chris633 said:
Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forum for the last couple months. And I've been smoking about as long. The info here has made my first attempts at smoking go great!

I plan on smoking a brisket for Father's Day for my parents. Up to this point, I have been using Jeff's rub for everything. The problem this weekend is that my mom has a stomach condition that is triggered by anything "spicey." So if it makes your mouth tingle in the least, it is too much for her. So I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a tasty rub that doesn't include pepper? I was considering just making a small batch of Jeff's minus the pepper, but I wanted to see what others thought. Thank you in advance!
Hi Chris. I don't have a stomach condition, but rather a tastebuds condition. I don't like pepper. And like you, have been using Jeffs rub and sauce exclusively since I bought the recipes. My good wife eliminated the cayenne pepper and the majority of the black pepper. So, yes there is a tiny bit in it compared to what the recipe calls for in both, but I don't taste it. And we've NEVER had a complaint about the food we've served or given away. I think you will be fine without it and your parents will love it. Good luck!!

I wanted to do a results update. Got a three pack of pork spare rib racks. I did two with Jeffs rub and one with a pepper free version of Jeffs rub for my mom. This was my third time doing ribs ever and had to be the best so far. My mom loved her rack and she had no problems eating it. I did the no peak method with one rack per shelf @235. I pulled the bottom most at 5hrs and the other two 30min later. They were perfect.

Chris633 said:
I wanted to do a results update. Got a three pack of pork spare rib racks. I did two with Jeffs rub and one with a pepper free version of Jeffs rub for my mom. This was my third time doing ribs ever and had to be the best so far. My mom loved her rack and she had no problems eating it. I did the no peak method with one rack per shelf @235. I pulled the bottom most at 5hrs and the other two 30min later. They were perfect.
Yay!!! Glad to hear it. :)

Back