Pastrami

Thesneakyzebra

Got some corned beef and did the old pastrami treatment on it. Soaked it to get some salt out, rubbed it good with pastrami seasonings, & let it sit in the fridge for just over 30 hours. Smoked it for about 7 hours at 225 when the IT hit 195, let it rest overnight. Brought it up to a temp of 203 via steaming. Best pastrami and even better pastrami sandwiches. I kid you not, it was the best pasrtami ever!!

Rub:
3 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1.5 tablespoon brown sugar (add this seperate from the rub, meaning, mix the rub, put it on the meat, then add brown sugar kind of like a second rub)
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 528
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 453
That looks a whole lot better than my disastrous attempt at pastrami from a corned beef!!  Mine was so salty I had to pitch it.  Curious - how long did you soak it in water to remove the salt?

That's about the amount of time I've been reading, Mikey.  So the finished pastrami is not too salty when you soak like this?  I'm a little gun shy after my first attempt!  Yours is not nearly as red as mine was, either (actually looks like pastrami).

I would agree, Mikey.  I was blown away at the salt content in the one I did - and I like salty!  It was like a pastrami-flavored salt lick.  lol.

Am curious about the steam and how long to steam the Pastrami. I have an electric pressure cooker with a steam option. And really am more into the corned beef than the Pastrami but thought would try both. Right now fighting a sinus infection.

You might want to find a more current pastrami post, Bill....The Zebra hasn't been active around here in the last 2 years.  ;)

Back