Packer brisket too long in a #2 HELP!

JDSwan87

So I bought a 14lb packer brisket from Costco. I trimmed it and now I'm in trouble. I plan on starting smoking tomorrow at midnight so it's ready for Sunday afternoon. I plan to tender quick it tomorrow morning before I leave for work, rub when I get home.

The #2 is 15" deep and my brisket is 20" long!

Do I:
Cut the flat to length?
Cut the point to length?
Cut it in half?
Roll the flat up the side of the smoker?
Try to "pin" the flat up to make it shorter?

Please help...

I haven't found a brisket that was too big for a #2 yet. I've cooked them up to 23lbs. I cook them quite often. Bend it, it will fit & shrink substantially before its over. Good luck.

Hello John,  You can either
do what Walt suggested,
Put a coke or beer can under it to take up inches, maybe even 2 if needed, never heard of having to use 2, cut it could be done I guess or try a 303 can from a can Veg. Without the paper of course, Or
You can cut it in half,right down the middle, it will be fine.

Good luck, be sure and post some pics, everybody loves pictures!
As Walt said, it will shrink a bunch.

I've put some of that size diagonal across the grate and got it to fit with minor touching of the corners that goes away as the brisket smokes.  I've also cut briskets in half lengthwise and smoked the two halves on two shelves.  On the lower shelf I put the point half fat cap down as something of a heat shield and on the upper shelf I put the other piece fat cap up.  Both methods have worked just fine.  As others have already said, you can also just fold the brisket flat over on itself.

Well, I put it in diagonally and it's touching. If you guys aren't worried about it, neither am I. This forum has never steered me wrong.

Morton insta-cure for 10 hours, washed it off, pat dry, mustard binder and a rub mama picked up from the store.

I'm going to turn the smoker on at 10pm instead of midnight. It's going to spend 2 hours in the cooler after the smoke and the smoke COULD last 17 hours. Probes are placed in the middle of the point.

Attachments

• 76925.jpeg
    76925.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 76923.jpeg
    76923.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 278
Woke up this morning and I'm at 168/170 after 9.5 hours. Not sure if that's "the stall" area or not... I plan on pulling it at 190 and into the cooler it'll go, does that sound like a good plan?

JDSwan87 said:
Woke up this morning and I'm at 168/170 after 9.5 hours. Not sure if that's "the stall" area or not... I plan on pulling it at 190 and into the cooler it'll go, does that sound like a good plan?

I've had them stall in that range, so it's quite possible.  As for temp, 190 is when to check the status, but not necessarily pull it.  I've had to take some to as high as 205 to be done.  When it's done it'll jiggle like jello and a toothpick can be inserted without resistance.  Those are the real tests of whether it's done.

LarryD said:
I've had them stall in that range, so it's quite possible.  As for temp, 190 is when to check the status, but not necessarily pull it.  I've had to take some to as high as 205 to be done.  When it's done it'll jiggle like jello and a toothpick can be inserted without resistance.  Those are the real tests of whether it's done.

Oh thats good information that wasn't in the "Lazy Q" PDF! I will follow your instructions, THANKS!

One probe is 174 the other is 187. It has been in for 11 hours now. I think I'm going to wait until both probes are over 190 then check for the jiggle! The suspense is KILLING me! It smells so delicious...

Sounds like it’s going well! And you have a good plan on waiting to 190 to check.

Which probe is reading what temp? Is the flat 187 or the point?

One probe is in the really thick (thickest) part of the point, the other is 3" away, still in the point but closer to the flat.

So how much "resistance" is too much with the toothpick test?

197/188
I have no jello jiggle, the meat still appears firm, fat cap is down
The toothpick goes in pretty easy but I still feel resistance. It also comes out clean.

Well I pulled it, 201/192. Had the jello jiggle and poked much easier than before. Double wrapped in foil, 2 towels and a blanket, then into the cooler she went for the next 2 hours...

Should I leave it in the cooler until 4pm when we are ready to eat?

Looks beautiful. Congrats. It will hold double wrapped in foil surrounded by towels in a cooler for 6 to 7 hours easy. Pull it before serving. I will be piping hot.

Here's  a couple  photos of 20+lbers in the #2.

Attachments

• 20180630_183623.jpg
    20180630_183623.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 334
  • 20180701_161139.jpg
    20180701_161139.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 20180428_214832.jpg
    20180428_214832.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 273
  • 20180429_145836.jpg
    20180429_145836.jpg