P-Diddy from TN again :)

Pres228

Hello all again!!

Before my smoker was delivered, I learned so much from this forum. I was very prepared and everything has worked out exactly as I thought it would. This forum ROCKS!!

I cringed a bit when paying the shipping charges, but I soon remembered an old saying- you get what you pay for. This is exactly true with SI shipping. The shipping was fast with UPS; just a couple of days. I could easily track my smoker from my phone and see exactly when it would deliver. The packaging was top notch; all was very well packaged. The money on shipping is very well spent if you ask me.

Unpacked my smoker and assembled the casters; they were simple. I wiped down the smoker and vacuumed all the styrofoam crumbs out (forum was right, lots of them).  Broke in my smoker with a few hickory blocks (four hours exactly as instructed by forum). I let the smoker cool down until the next morning.
The next morning I was so excited to get going on my smoker that I woke up at 4 am. ;D I pulled the back off the smoker to do a quick bypass of rheostat, shorten the smoker electrical cord, and install my wall mount temp probe. All three were a snap!! I bought a new Dewalt 5/16 bit which read "stainless steel" on the package ($6/lowes). This bit took 30 seconds to drill through the smoker!! Was a snap!! I had also bought a 1" nylon spacer from lowes (97 cents); Worked perfectly on the wall mount probe.  I knew the insulation was going to itch me so I wore gloves and long sleeves- a must. As instructed I set up my smoker and PID for autotune. It was also a snap, very easy.

The same night of my smoker delivery I doctored up an 8.5 lb Boston Butt. I then wrapped it up and let sit in the fridge until Friday night. I loaded the butt into the smoker, programmed the PID, and 15 hours later the butt was at 195 degrees.

The Boston butt (picture attached) absolutely fell apart. It was simply delicious!! My family are eating pulled pork all weekend!!

I am so happy for my new smoker purchase! The forum has educated me on everything and it ALL went exactly as expected.

I look forward to many more smokes, as well as many more interactions with you guys.

P-Diddy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 269
Thanks guys. This was not my first smoke, but my first smoke in a Smokin It smoker. I used 6oz of hickory on this Butt and it turned out fantastic. My wife and I love the "bark" produced on the Butt too. However, next time I plan on tweeking it a bit. I think I will pull back an oz on the hickory and maybe try a different rub. Also, I am thinking of a 190 degree pull temp instead of 195. The "bark" and smoke taste was terrific, but I just want to try to lighted up the smoke and color a bit.

Aaron- Smokin it #3 is the one I got. So far I'm lovin it.

Great job p-Diddy! That's a tasty looking butt! I smoked two 9lbs butts this weekend and used six oz hickory and it was just right. Your set for a lot of fun and tasty food for a long time now so enjoy!

Thanks again guys. You are all loaded with information and terrific help. I look forward to many more smokes, and posts.
P-Diddy

One thing about it, Diddy, there are lots of good smokes to try out from the recipes on this forum!  I am never at a loss for something to try on the weekends  ;)

Very impressive P-Diddy. Sounds like a perfectly executed everything from the time you ordered till you pulled out your 1st smoke. Bravo!
BB

Back