Overnight smoke for Sunday

es1025

Making an 8.25# port butt for sunday dinner.  Will be firing up the old #3 at midnight.  Standard rubs mixture and 6 oz of cherry/hickory wood. planning on foiling at 160 and cook to 200 and then let rest for 2-3 hours in cooler.  The butt should hit 200 around 1pm and then let rest for remainder.  Will be serving a piedmont sauce and some KC bbq sauce. Temp around 230.

Do you guys think 6oz of wood is too much?

I think 6 oz is just right but I do like a heavy smoke profile.  That's a decent sized butt and I think the fattiness of the meat can handle that amount with no issue; in my experience, you'll see a seriously juicy pulled pork even if you don't foil  ... I prize bark over "falling apart" since I prefer sliced final product.

Since you're doing pulled, I'd really recommend putting a disposable pie tin beneath your butt (remove it when you foil, strain and reduce after skimming the excess fat) and perhaps a small water pan with beer, cola or apple juice.  Add back the drippings to the pile o' pulled pork product will really boost flavor.

A couple of weather obstacles, A thunderstorm moved in this morning and it was raining like crazy for the past two hours.
# 3 working fine.  Pork at 172.  Started at 1245am.

Attachments

• WP_20130901_002.jpg
    WP_20130901_002.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 338
Here is the final outcome:

8.25# boston butt

Smoked for 14 hours and 15 minutes and let rest for almost 2 hours. 6 oz of cherry wood was perfect.

Temp was around 230 until I foiled (160) and then I dropped to below 225.

The unit held the temperature very well.  I did confirm the shiny side of the foil produces more heat. 

The meat was very tender and juicy. 

When I took the fat off and put on the rub I only had 4 hours between the start of the smoke, make a big difference.

I had a nice au jus as well.

Leftover today!

Here are some photos of the finished product.

Attachments

• WP_20130901_004.jpg
    WP_20130901_004.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 339
  • WP_20130901_006.jpg
    WP_20130901_006.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 327
Joe, it was really good. The modified rub w/o chili powder has done the trick. I have been added back cayenne a 1/4 tsp at a time. I know you never master smoking but I feel like I have a solid process and procedure.

Great looking results, Ed, especially considering the formidable conditions!  Looks like an episode of "Survivor: BBQ Edition!" 8)

Back