Old smoker on a new site

SEAJAMS

Hello!

I have been smoking meat for over 40 years, first on a 10'x5' brick stick burner built in the early 40'.  Now living in the Chicagoland area and not having access to easy lumber like I had back in Oklahoma, I bought a SmokinTex 1300 in 2001 rather than the Cookshack due to similarity and lower cost. While I have loved the SmokinTex, the smaller size has been prompting me to look for a larger smoker.  I have been looking at all smokers on the market, wood, charcoal, pellet, gas, electric...  I have to have an insulated smoker as I grill and smoke year round.  I just stumbled onto the Smokin-It site and am very impressed and Steve, you can count on a visit with me. 

I love the size of the #4D and think it will solve the limits I have with my SmokinTex.  Plus I am looking forward to better customer service. (Long story that I will not go into now)

Bruce

Attachments

• 20160513142835.JPG
    20160513142835.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 324
Welcome from east Texas! The #4 is an absolute beast of a smoker. I have a #3 and I never have filled it up so I can't imagine what it would take to fill the #4 up. Customer service is a way of life here and it's all around you all the time, from these forums to being able to simply pick up the phone and talk to the owner of the company instead of a call center in India. I was using a log burner myself and decided that while the food I was making was very good I was losing valuable time to "the process". I too stumbled onto the SI website and hung around a while before investing in what we like to call the "lazy Q" lifestyle. So ask questions and I promise you'll get all the info you need to make this choice an easy one.

Congrats on the 4D. How easy it is to smoke in the middle of winter here in Madison is one of my favorite things about these smokers.

Hi Bruce, Welcome aboard from N'East MA.
You came to the right place....Great company, Great smoker and a great forum!

If only that old smoker could tell some tales! Guess that's what you're for:-) Welcome to Smokin It.

Welcome from ND Bruce!

You ate going to love the #4. As far as smoking in the winter, I have smoked in -20F with zero issues.

Welcome, Bruce!  Great to have your experience with us!!  Have you ordered the 4D, or are you considering it? 

Thanks everyone!  I really look forward to browsing the information on the forum and finding new tricks.  I have not pulled the trigger on the new smoker yet due to some travel I have going on, but hope to do so soon.  I have a big smoke coming up in about 60 days and the 4D would make it so much easier.  I will keep everyone posted.

Went to the warehouse on Saturday and met Steve.  Picked up my #4D and a few accessories and headed back to Chicago.  Got everything ready Saturday evening to start the seasoning first thing Sunday morning.  I got a good 4 hours of smoke going on Sunday and decided to smoke some hot Italian sausage as that was something quick and easy since I didn't have time to do a brisket or shoulder after the seasoning process.  (I did finish the sausage on the grill to give a little snap to the skins)

I cannot wait to LOAD this Big Daddy up and give it a good workout!

Attachments

• 20161023_142616.jpg
    20161023_142616.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 20161023_141457.jpg
    20161023_141457.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 317
Very nice! I am so jealous of the #4D owners. I would love to have that extra space.

Nice looking sausages for sure!

Back