Not much on steaks

SmokinSusie-Q

I think I looked through 13 pages on beef to find whatever was available on smoking steaks.  Not much and quite a number of disagreements as to whether and how to smoke steaks.  My take is that grilling is preferable to smoking although some note positive results.  I prefer my steaks rare to med. rare so I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good steak by smoking it.  The best answer seems to be to smoke a roast (rib, tenderloin, etc.) briefly and then cut into steaks and sear on the grill.  Any other suggestions or results?

I think you have it right, Sue.  I don't smoke steaks.  I add a little wood to my grill, and get some smoke flavor while grilling.  Getting the smoker set up, for such a short smoke, and the grill too, just isn't worth the hassle (for me). 

Now, if I smoke a whole sirloin roast or a ribeye roast, there's no searing on the grill after slicing, for me.  I serve those slices like prime rib, with a little au jus! ;)

Actually,. I have  used a mcormick's  steak seasoning rub overnight.. I then smoked 2 1lb rib eyes to 129 IT  with 3 ounces of apple wood.  I then throw it on the grill and seared both sides.

in my honest opinion it is the best of both worlds. you get a smoke like it is off the campfire and when you pull it is pink side to side with no uneven spots.  it tastes a little like it was cooked on a campfire and is my favorite way to cook a steak.

each to his own but I love it.

Try a little white oak, red oak, hickory or mesquite on those steaks, Tom.  Apple is just to mild for beef, at least for us Southerners! ;)  Beef can handle the stronger smokes, unlike poultry.

yes sir I will! I like hickory and just bought a bag of Mesquite! i'll go one way or another!

they say mesquite is too harsh for fish but I found our catfish perfect with it (see my catfish post)

Back