No more smoked oysters from China, hopefully!

AngieSmokes

Greetings from a really soggy Pacific Northwest! :D My hubby and I are as inexperienced as they come - literally have never smoked a single thing in our lives, so forgive my giddiness today - it feels just like Christmas! UPS delivered our #2 yesterday and as I write this, we're 2.5 hours into the 4 hour seasoning process. I put three of the included wood chunks in the box and the smoke appears to now have almost ceased. Temperature reads 280+. Is that right? Thanks, a total newb who can't wait to smoke her own oysters for Valentine's Day!

Sound about right. Just let it roll for a total of 4 hours and you should be good to go.

You will find that the temps in an empty box will vary greatly and you should not be concerned at all with this.

Welcome to the forums btw! I just realized that this was your first post.

There is a ton of information here for new smokers.

I would encourage you to check out the following threads:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2078.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Thanks! :) Reading the first link now and putting heavy duty foil on the shopping list. Also answered my smoke-leaking-around-the-door question....

Welcome from Colorado Angie! Totally miss fresh oysters. Can't wait to hear how your smoked version turns out. Make sure you post pictures so we can all drool!

Welcome from Delaware, Angie!  You have found the right place and will enjoy many happy smokes with the #2 (I know I do  ;D).    I hope you will post some pics of the oysters...sounds like a great meal!  Cheers

Welcome from NJ Angie....I love smoked oysters and am curious how they turn out!  I must admit I had no idea they were from China ???  Hopefully those were oysters in that can ;)

P2B

Welcome to "Club Lazy Q," Angie!  We'll take you from beginner to Pit Master in no time! ;)  Hang with us, when able, read all you can, and ask LOTS of questions!  We've all been there, and we're here to help.

Thanks, everyone! I see that there's a lot to learn. So thankful for this awesome resource....

Well, we just embarked on our smoking maiden voyage tonight. It's chicken thighs and legs. Pretty nervous actually. :) Thank goodness for foil because this could get messy.....!

*Ignore hibernating hosta on the table. At least, I hope it's hibernating.

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 335
Good luck with your new hobby. You have access to oysters in the shell so yours will be better than mine for sure. You can shuck, brine and return to a half shell in the smoker or just roast/smoke them whole. Play around with it and see what you like.
This is my experiment with oysters:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1830.msg10786#msg10786

Thanks Brian, I'll use your experiment as a guide. I am lucky to live where there are fresh oysters, so it'd be a pity not to learn how to shuck them and cook 'em up. I didn't even think to smoke them whole, but I'd probably prefer to brine. Husband is not a big oyster fan but he loves scallops. We'll have to try that too!

Ok, here it is: a total beginner's first attempt at smoking. Chicken thighs & legs vacuum marinated/tumbled for 10 minutes in lemon juice, curry powder, garlic, salt and yogurt. Two hours at 250 with 2oz apple wood. Thighs done, but legs were a little underdone, maybe needed an additional 5-10 minutes. Finished up on the stove. Cooked boneless thighs in disposable trays because I was afraid they'd fall through = really need a seafood rack, not just for seafood. :) Was a whole lot of fun!! Excited to try the next thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 299
Back