Newbie with a number 1 and first smoke is tomorrow

Manania

Hello everyone at the forum. I just got my #1 for Christmas, and I'm looking forward to my first smoke tomorrow. I seasoned my smoker with the hickory on Sunday, and for good measure I did a little more last night.

My original plan was to do a Boston butt, but giant eagle had loins for 1.89/lb this week.  My loin is 7lb. I cut in half so it wouldn't be too long for the smoker. I put a rub on one half and plan to smoke the other half plain (a few of the people who will eat with me prefer just the meat).

I could use some help with smoking times and wood. I have the maverick 732 and plan to monitor until the internal temperature gets to 145-150. The chart I found on the forum said 4-5 hours, but other posts I've read on here say people have done loins in under 3 hours. How much time should I budget for this?

Also, the big question: how much wood? I was thinking 3oz? I have both hickory and apple on hand. Anyone have some recommendations on what works well?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Looking forward to learning, smoking, and eating some good food!

Congrats Mike!  The Little Guy is a great smoker - I've had many fine meals from mine!

Loins are a favorite of mine.  Best sliced pork sammies on the planet!  3 oz of wood is plenty.  I like cherry or hickory, but you can use what you have.  Hickory/apple combo is nice. 

Since you're cutting these in half, they'll smoke pretty quick.  I'd guess no more than 2-3 hours at 225.  Since you're smoking at a low temp, for a short period, you'll probably notice you don't get much of a bark on them.  A good way to finish them is to add a little BBQ sauce, and reverse-sear them on a hot grill (just a few minutes per side).  This caramelizes the sauce and rub, and gives a little "finish" to them; looks and tastes great!

I actually like to brine my pork loins, smoke then grill.  Here's my method:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1864.0

I think Tony hit all your questions, so I will just offer a big welcome and congratulations on your new smoker!

Thanks for your help guys! Would you recommend a water pan for this smoke?

In the event my meat is done sooner than I need it, I think I saw someone recommend wrapping it in foil and turning the temp to 140. Do you have any experience with how well this works?

Mike,

Holding at 140 is not a problem - I use it often.  The main thing you want to do is cool-down the smoker for the "hold."  These boxes are really tight and well-insulated, so if you just leave the door closed and turn the temp down to 140, it will stay at 225 for quite awhile, and your meat will get over-cooked.  If I plan to hold, I open up at 5° below my target temp, after turning down to 140, and let the smoker cool for a bit.  When you close it back up, it should have to heat back up to 140 (light on).  This is ideal, because it will maintain a "safe" temp, and won't be cooking the meat any further.  While the smoker is cooling, the meat will most-likely climb those last 5° to the desired temp.  Not a problem at all.

Tony,

Thank you so much for your help.  Looking forward to ringing in the new year with some smoke!

Hopefully this works out on my first try. I'll let you know how it goes and maybe post a few pictures.

We're here to help, Mike!  If you run into snags, let us know.  I'm sure you'll be fine!  The first one is always the hardest, but it gets a lot easier as you go - you'll be a "pit master" in no time!

It's looking like I'm going to need to try the method to hold these bad boys at a temp. Just to clarify, tony, would you recommend wrapping the loins in foil before i set to 140 or just cool the smoker and wait to remove until we're ready to eat?

Back