Newbie with a #3 & Auber on the way

TexasSmoke

I have had a Viking outdoor grill for a long time.  It has their TruSear and grills some amazing steaks, pork & chicken.  I have zero experience cooking on a smoker.  I live in Texas so I have had plenty of experience eating great que.

I have been looking at Pellets, Eggs & other electric smokers.  I decided that for a newbie I would be better off with an electric smoker.  I also looked at the Cookshack and Smokin Tex models.  In the end I went with the #3 as I felt it was a better value with the bigger size, bigger element, double latches.  I ordered mine with the Auber so that should be fun to use as well.

So I look forward to trying new things out and learning from you guys.  I am hoping my new smoker will make it here for this weekend as my in-laws will be in town.

Any suggestions for what to cook on my first run?

Welcome from ND! You will love your #3. I know I do.

I always recommend a Boston Butt because it is a very easy smoke that is hard to mess up and will give you a good feel for your smoker.

Here is a link to a great thread on the process as well as a great brine recipe which I strongly recommend:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

Hi Ron!  We're practically neighbors!  Sorry about your Horns, though. :-\

You definitely made the right choice in smokers!  We'll have you a pit master in no time!  Totally agree with Gregg - the bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork is my favorite "first smoke!"  It really gives you a chance to see how that baby performs on a long smoke, and is a very forgiving cut of meat.

Glad to have you in the coolest BBQ club on the planet!

DivotMaker said:
Hi Ron!  We're practically neighbors!  Sorry about your Horns, though. :-\

Howdy neighbor!  I am no Longhorn fan. I went to the Texas Bowl with Texas vs Arkansas and LOVED the whoppin' Arkansas put on them. 2 yards rushing.....really?

I think you and Gregg are right on the Boston as a good choice for the first run.

Back