Newbie problem with boston butt

GSDC

I used my #1 for the first time last weekend when I smoked a 4.75 pound boston butt (bone in).  The night before, I injected with apple juice, lathered in mustard, and applied a nice rub recipe before wrapping in saran wrap and placing in the fridge overnight.  At that size, I figured 7 hours to cook at 1 1/2 hours per pound....and maybe up to 9.5 hours if it took 2 hours per pound.  To split the difference, I figured on an 8 hour cook so that I'd have some wiggle-room either way (trying to time it right for guests, etc.).  The next morning, I soaked 4 ounces of hickory for one hour, put some apple juice in a mini-loaf pan, then put everything into the smoker (without pre-heating the smoker), and set the temp to 225.  I had a single probe meat thermometer that I could use to monitor the IT of the meat, but I didn't have anything to monitor the box temp.  I never opened to box until the end. 

At 6 hours cook time,  the IT was only at 158 degrees.  At 8 hours, it was only at 165 degrees.  My guests were due to arrive in 30 minutes, so I increased the temp to 250.  At 10 hours cook time, I was only at 185.  It was 7:30pm at this point and I needed to feed my guests, so I took it off, wrapped in foil to let rest for 30 minutes, then served.  Part of the meat was very tender, shredding very easily.  However, the part nearest the bone was tough....I had to use a knife to remove it from the bone.  It was indeed tasty; the smoke flavor and rub were excellent, but it was tougher and drier than I anticipated it being after cooking for such a long time.

Any thoughts on what happened here?  Maybe my unit never got up to the correct temp?  I'm thinking of testing the box temp with it empty....just using the same probe I used for the meat.  Could it have been the meat itself...just a bad/tough piece that would have caused it?  I'm hosting a super bowl party in a few weeks and want to serve some pulled pork sliders, so I gotta get it right this time!  The pressure is on!

I smoke most of my meat products at 240 degrees.
for pork butt i typically wrapped at 150 or five hours or so.
I have typically but the 1.5 hours per pound.
l also have a little water can as well. I boil the water to increase the temp in the box faster.

I would suggest a higher temperature and also use chunks as opposed to chips.

My guess is the meat just stalled. Each piece of meat is different. I try to take the stall out of the picture by wrapping.

I have a #3.

I have posted a couple posts regarding pork butt.

This may be a unpopular comment,, but I don't ever cook a shoulder / butt for under a min of 12 hrs and that's hundreds of them,,, and on larger ones go as long as 14 hrs,,, You already know to shoot for 200 IT but I think it takes longer that some people say,I think you just needed more time in the smoker,
But hey I cook my ribs for 6 1/2-7hrs also...

You really need to know what temp your smoker is running at, I also set temp at 225, and I usually get a swing from about 210 to 240 area with it loaded... also where you doing any looking???
JMHO
PJ

puddle jumper and es, thanks for the replies and the advice.  I figured the meat went into the stall, but it stayed there for HOURS and never came out of it until I jacked the temp to 250.  For such a small piece of meat, I wasn't expecting the stall to last so long.  I'm going to see what my box temp is reading without any meat in it tomorrow to see if I need to adjust the temp settings.  But, I think I'll go with a bit higher temp and a foil wrap (like es suggested) when I'm in a time crunch and just plan on a longer smoke (like puddle jumper suggested) when time is not an issue. 

puddle, I'm cooking in South Carolina, so I don't think that the weather/temp was an issue.

Planning on doing a rack of baby backs Sunday - perfect to watch the game with!

puddle jumper said:
This may be a unpopular comment,, but I don't ever cook a shoulder / butt for under a min of 12 hrs and that's hundreds of them,,, and on larger ones go as long as 14 hrs,,, You already know to shoot for 200 IT but I think it takes longer that some people say,I think you just needed more time in the smoker,
But hey I cook my ribs for 6 1/2-7hrs also...

You really need to know what temp your smoker is running at, I also set temp at 225, and I usually get a swing from about 210 to 240 area with it loaded... also where you doing any looking???
JMHO
PJ

Not unpopular, PJ, if that's what works for you.  I just don't stress about time (except for ribs); all about internal temp for me.  If I'm cooking at an appropriate temp (225 for butts), I know it will cook slow enough to be tender.  Whether it takes 8 hours, or 12 hours...doesn't matter.  Done is done. 

I agree, Divot.  But the Boston butt is the one piece of meat that defies a set time...ribs 5hrs, chicken 4 hours, chicken thighs 4 hours, all pretty much to the time with little variation.  The butt, oh no, could be 1.5/lb, 2/lb, etc...so I think the key on butts is start early.  I have to admit, though, that I am now quite comfortable with letting the butt go over night unattended, so it makes the wait more manageable!

You guys have to stop talking about butts.... LOL!

I think the butt is a tough nut to crack.  Some times she takes off and does not stop and then she goes real slow.

I try to figure 1.5/lb and so far thats been a good benchmark. 

GSDC, I would recommend documenting the entire process from the weather to the air temperature to the size and what you put on the butt, etc.

I am less than a one year smoker but I have documented every smoke.  You learn a lot about your smoker and the product you smoked.

Sorry, Ed, but "I like big butts, I cannot lie!"  (That's all I know of that song) Haha!  Seriously, though, I think the Boston butt pork shoulder is a lot like brisket.  What I mean, is the makeup of the animal it came from is a major part of the equation.  When I shop for a brisket, I pick them up and feel how they bend.  Sometimes, you'll pick one up that is really stiff, and then you'll find one that's soft and pliable.  Guarantee that brisket that's stiff will be tough!  Butts are the same way...the density of the meat, the amount of fat and connective tissue, all factor in!  I've noticed that butts that are darker in color, and soft to the touch come out the best.  Ones that are very light-colored pork, and firm, tend to be drier and tougher.  I'll feel 4-5 packages before I pick one!  Hey, we squeeze melons, too, right?  Once you start paying attention to how the meat "feels" before selecting it, you'll see different results!  There's another data point for you, Ed! ;D 

Tony

Are you sure your not the Mr. Whipple the Charmin guy? These butts are irresistible!

I spend time selecting my butts from BJ's. I usually asked for one from the back that is sitting in the enclosure refrigerator. I look for color and not too much fat (less trimming).

Ha!  Probably not too many here remember Mr. Whipple!  Great reference, Ed!  Nothing like squeezing butts and briskets on a Saturday afternoon! ;D

My son calls me "The Meat Whisperer."  LOL.

DivotMaker said:
Ha!  Probably not too many here remember Mr. Whipple!  Great reference, Ed!  Nothing like squeezing butts and briskets on a Saturday afternoon! ;D

My son calls me "The Meat Whisperer."  LOL.
es1025 said:
Tony

Are you sure your not the Mr. Whipple the Charmin guy? These butts are irresistible!

I spend time selecting my butts from BJ's. I usually asked for one from the back that is sitting in the enclosure refrigerator. I look for color and not too much fat (less trimming).

I remember!!!
Hey speaking of,, did you know the Kid in that commercial was the red head guy off myth busters..
I know I'm full of useless info...
LOL
PJ

Back