Newbie in Indiana - Lovin My #3 & Auber

DKHack20

Just wanted to say Hi and thanks for all the wonderful information on this forum.  Because of the information available, I am a new owner of a #3, with Auber, cart, accessories...  Bought with confidence and picked it up from warehouse (saved the shipping- only 45mins away).  I am new to BBQ but kids are growing up and I need a new hobby.  Hopefully wife will enjoy as well. 
Seasoned unit and brining a Boston for first try.  Can't wait for dinner on Wednesday.

Also, made all the recommended mods last night while putting everything together --- permanent probe, and bypass switch for Auber.  I figured open cabinet once based on other posts.
The Smokin-It units are very well made.  I know I made the right choice.

Looking forward to learning BBQ the lazy way.  Thanks

Wow you went all out and already got the permanent probe mounted! Nice job!!!

Welcome to the forum from ND!

I highly endorse your decision to start with a Boston Butt for your first smoke. It is hard to screw up and helps insure that your first smoke will be a good one. Let us know if you have any questions.

Temps are to be below zero tonight and tomorrow.  Should I figure longer smoke time than the normal 1.5 to 2 hrs/ lb?  Butt is 8.63lbs.  I was figuring on putting it on around midnight, let in smoke all day then check around 5pm or so.  I figure with the Auber, I can program to back off to 140 temp if it hits the the set temp of 200 before 5pm.  I will wrap it if it finishes earlier than that. 

Does the cold weather affect the smoking all that much?  Unit seems very well insulated.

Daryl, welcome from Colorado. No worries on the cold. The units are really well insulated and cold doesn't seem to affect much.  :)

Agreed. The only affect that the cold will have will be that the Auber will have to kick the element on a little more frequently. In regards to the time or quality of the smoke, I don't think it will have any affect whatsoever. I smoked a butt last year in -20 weather and didn't have a problem. The only issue is the fat volcano that tends to occur when the fat dripping freeze pretty much instantaneously as they flow into the drip pan.

Attachments

• Fat Volcano - Small.jpg
    Fat Volcano - Small.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 299
DKHack, welcome!

If you haven't seen the thread that references the Auber problems in the cold, don't be shocked if it won't turn on when you go to start your smoke.  The probe has to be heated before the Auber will register it.  Some are using a hair dryer but since you have the bypass switch, I think you can put some heat in the box with the SI controller. 

Wow, Daryl, you have been studying!  Sounds like you have the "Lazy Q" thing down pat already! ;)  Here's to many successful smokes!  Be sure to post some pics of that butt - I'm sure you've noticed we love pictures around here! 8)

Back