Newbie from Louisiana

MC1960

Hello everyone, my name is Mark and live in the upper toe of the boot. I have been thinking about getting a smoker, never have had one, I grill burgers and steaks on a gas grill is my experience level.  We are empty nesters but our 2 daughters live close by and eat Sunday dinner with us most weeks. I love pork ribs, but have never been able to cook them well, this is what sparked my interest in smokers. In my research on smokers, I came across this site and have enjoyed reading the good advise on cooking and such. Now come my dilemma, which one to choose. For me and my wife, cooking a couple of racks of ribs(I understand I will have to cut them in half on the #1 and #2), a couple of steaks, burgers, etc. the #1 should be plenty big, but I was wondering about if I wanted to smoke a turkey, a couple of chickens, or a ham, if it would be big enough. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Mark

Howdy Mark and welcome to the forum.

#1 works for two racks of ribs cut. One small turkey "think range bird not hormone frankenTurk or two small chickens same or one frankenChick.

#2 just gives some more space for a FrankenTurk or in my opine more even smoking and cooking with same load

Millage varies considerable between all here

Good luck!

John

Welcome from Delaware, Mark.  I have a #2 and have done 12/14lb turkeys with no problem.  I would recommend the #2 if it fits your budget.  It is always better to have more space and not need it versus needing more space and not having it.  Cheers

My first one is a #1 which was purchased thinking it would work fine at home and as a take along for RV'ing. Then i came across a slightly used #2 here on the forum and purchased it. I gifted #2 son with the #1 and I kept the #2 for #1 ... me lol

Frankly the #1 and #2 are close in size but for a 12/14 Turkey you'll be happier with the #2 and it's slightly more versatile if you get into bacon or meat and veggies as I'm doing now at the same time. #2 is slightly better for multitasking

I love me some bacon but have never considered making it,opens up a lot of new possibilities

Back