Newbie from Columbus OH

khoelscher1

I've been smoking meat for a few years on a cheap electric Brinkmann smoker.  I have had pretty good luck, but don't like the fact that you can't control the temp.  I've never used an internal thermometer in it, but I think it gets too hot to smoke a lot of the stuff I'd like to smoke.

So, I just placed my order for the...
SI#2
Jerky Drier
Maverick 733

After months of research, I finally decided to pull the trigger.  I can't wait until it arrives!!  I was hoping the new one with handles would come out before I placed my order, but no luck.  I don't think I would use them too often anyways.

I read the section about what to do when it arrives.  It says not to foil any of the insides while seasoning, but I thought I read in another section of the forum that you wanted to foil the bottom and the top of the smoker box during seasoning so foil does not stick in the future.  Can anyone elaborate on this?

Thanks

Keith

Brinkman, the Gateway drug of the smoking world. Decent results but always leaving you wanting something more. Welcome Home Keith.

Welcome from North Dakota Keith!

You don't need to foil during the seasoning. I have never heard of any problems with the foil sticking. As much as the foil helps there is always going to be a little grease/fat that gets under the foil. But it is very easy to remove.

Just unpack, screw in the casters, give a basic wipe down to remove all of the packing Styrofoam and any surface dust, place 2-3 chunks of Hickory that came with the unit, and then crank it up to 250 and let her fly for 4 good solid hours and you'll be good to go.

Don't both putting the 733 probes in there as the empty smoker temp fluctuations are not indicative how how it will perform when smoking meat.

Welcome Keith!  I ditto everything that NDKoze just posted ... no foil on the seasoning run and no need to use the Maverick.  Without the foil you will essentially be seasoning all the walls and floor of the smoker. 

When you are ready to load with meat, then definitely foil the bottom (AND be sure to poke a hole in it for draining to the catch pan) and foil the top of the smoke box.  You will be surprised at how easy the clean up is when you can just lift the foil out!    The foil may stick a bit, but if you don't press it down too hard on the floor, then you should be OK.  For me, the foil lifts right out when it is time for clean up.

Welcome, again, and let us know if you have more questions!  Cheers

Walt said:
Use the heavy duty foil not the normal thin stuff.

Welcome to the club.  I agree with Walt, the regular foil just doesn't cut it. 

Great choice with the SI smoker.

Congrats on the culmination of months of research, Kieth!!!  You've made a great decision; one I'm certain you won't regret.

I concur with everyone else - no foil during seasoning.  We had a guy on here, a while back, that advocated foiling the bottom, but it didn't catch on.  I believe letting the stainless steel bottom seasoning is important to protect it.  Remember - it's "stain-less" steel, not "stain-proof" steel.  Protect the inside with a coating of creosote.

Looking forward to you hanging with us! ;D

Welcome Keith,
You're absolutely going to love your SI #2..These are the best electric smokers on the market.
You will be happy...
Make sure you take pics of your smokes and let us see your results...
Again Welcome
This is a great place to be...
Tony

Thanks for all the responses. I jut received an email saying it shipped. I don't have the info yet as to when it will arrive but looking forward to it!!

Hey Keith,
The very first post I ever made on here was a pic of my #3...When you get that baby and get it put together...show it off..
I'm sure you'll be proud...
Tony

tbcop-is-smokin said:
Hey Keith,
The very first post I ever made on here was a pic of my #3...When you get that baby and get it put together...show it off..
Tony

A few time I had my #3 in the front of the garage, I noticed a few cars slow down as they drove by admiring my smoker.  I may have to get a solid chain and strap it down...

Smokster said:
tbcop-is-smokin said:
Hey Keith,
Tony

A few time I had my #3 in the front of the garage, I noticed a few cars slow down as they drove by admiring my smoker.  I may have to get a solid chain and strap it down...

Or a good theft-deterrent device, like I have...

Attachments

• theft deterrent.JPG
    theft deterrent.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 249
Keith
Welcome to the forum. I've been out of town, so I just saw your posts. I'm about 30 miles east of you. I picked up my equipment directly from Steve at the Columbus Deer & Turkey Expo, last March. Saved me shipping costs.

GeeBee said:
Keith
Welcome to the forum. I've been out of town, so I just saw your posts. I'm about 30 miles east of you. I picked up my equipment directly from Steve at the Columbus Deer & Turkey Expo, last March. Saved me shipping costs.

I did not know about the SI smokers until right after that show otherwise I might have picked one up as well.  I did not want to wait a whole year until the show again

I ordered the SI #2 on Monday and received it on Wednesday!!  I seasoned it on Wednesday and threw a 8.5# pork shoulder on at about 715 this evening. I will post pics in a different section tomorrow of the finished product!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 313
Keith,
I'd be interested to know if you have a favorite spot to get your meat (GFS, Sam's Club, local butcher, etc). I'm always looking for good meat.

GeeBee said:
Keith,
I'd be interested to know if you have a favorite spot to get your meat (GFS, Sam's Club, local butcher, etc). I'm always looking for good meat.

I just picked up the pork shoulder at the local Sam's Club.  I do not have a favorite spot.

I will check GFS thanks, my wife just pointed out an add for "2 butt packs, $1.79 a pound" about thirty minutes away at a small family owned market.

Back