Newb question

Hunterworks

Just received my #3 today, want to start with something simply, ribs.

Question, when do you use a water pan, what meats, what kind of pan and put it where?

Todd

When in doubt, use a water pan. Some don't when doing poultry, the idea that the skin with the fat layer is sufficient barrier against drying out.
For ribs, I always have a pan of water. I use a aluminum mini loaf pan placed next to the tinder box. I have the #1, so depending on the volume of meat, and that you have a #3, you may use either a larger pan, or two minis.
Hope this helps!

TARDISgirl said:
When in doubt, use a water pan. Some don't when doing poultry, the idea that the skin with the fat layer is sufficient barrier against drying out.
For ribs, I always have a pan of water. I use a aluminum mini loaf pan placed next to the tinder box. I have the #1, so depending on the volume of meat, and that you have a #3, you may use either a larger pan, or two minis.
Hope this helps!

+1-I have a SI #2 and always use a mini loaf pan right next to the fire box as well.

Thanks guys, I am sure this is just the first of many questions.  Looks like this forum is full of great people who appear to be smoking professionals.

Todd

Yep, small loaf pan (usually with apple juice) nestled right up against the smoke box!  I always use a water pan for long smokes of ribs, butts, etc.  Not so much on short smokes.

Back