New Year's Day Baby Back Ribs

DivotMaker

Did a simple 2-rack smoke of baby backs today.  Mustard/Famous Daves Rib Rub, in the fridge for 2 hours.  2.5 oz of hickory/cherry (50/50), 5 1/2 hours @ 240.

They were good, but not stellar.  Although moist and tender, they were more firm than I like.  They would pull from the bone, but it took a little work.  These were more like "competition style."  I'm not crazy about competition style.  I like moist, tender, fall off the bone ribs.

Here's the variable:  I normally buy my baby backs at Sam's Club.  It's a 3-rack pack full of incredible ribs.  They're big and meaty, and very good quality.  They were closed today, so I bought the 2 remaining racks at Harp's grocery store (a local chain based in NW Arkansas).  These ribs were definitely shorter than I get at Sam's, and were certainly not the same quality.

All in all, good turnout, but could have been better with the right meat.  Important lesson:  buy meat at the same place you did for successful smokes! 

I never get tired of the pictures, though...they look great! ;D

Attachments

• NY14 baby backs.jpg
    NY14 baby backs.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 313
  • NY14 bb sliced.jpg
    NY14 bb sliced.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 332
Look good!!!

I agree... Not much for competition style ribs. I like them falling off the bone.

Also some are turned off by SAMs Club versus a local butcher, but I too have had luck with SAMs.

Thanks for the pictures.

They do look good though, even if you say they were a bit less fall off the bone then you would like.

I agree they do look good, but I too am a fall off the bone kinda guy.  I am looking forward to my next smoke. I will do some St. Lois style and Tonys brined butt recipe.

Well, I guess you'll just have to try again. Oh darn :)

Back