New to the site

Danbow

Hi, I'm Danny. I'm researching buying an electric smoker and didn't want to buy one of the Bradleys or Masterbuilts as I don't think they are as good as some of these that are like the Smokin it style and I have access to alot of good smoking wood. I live about 30miles from the Cookshack plant and am trying to consider what I am gaining from a smoker that costs 35-40% more than this one. I am thinking I like the 3D for its size and the digital controls. Can anyone tell me how long this company has been around and why it is better than the TEX and Cookshack? Thanks in advance for the input.

Some of what you are asking is answered here.

I live close enough to the SmokinTex headquarters that I almost did an impulse purchase one day because I could go pick it up.  However, I decided to wait because I was about to visit a friend who has been smoking for years.  It turns out he's been using a SI all that time and so I already knew how capable the smoker is from tasting some really awesome meats he's smoked.  This friend also couldn't speak highly enough of the owner of SI.

I also compared prices... it turned out that I could get the SI + more accessories (no tax) even with shipping than I could the SmokinTex (+ tax) because there was such a price difference.

Between the strong recommendation, product comparisons, and price comparisons it became an easy choice for me to purchase the #2.  I've had it for a week now and absolutely love it!  I've had a problem with one of the probes on the thermometer I purchased and I'm absolutely happy with the support I'm receiving.

As an added bonus, there's a great community here!

Danny, what you are looking for is in the link below. The first post includes an excel file that compares the 3 smokers. If you can't open the excel file, let us know and someone can save a pdf for you. Also, read through the entire post. There are various other comments by users related to the comparison chart. The info was current as of February.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4678.0

Try and find an unhappy SI owner, there just aren't any, and that will tell you a lot. I still use my unit at least weekly, usually more though. Still works like the day i got it. Its been a home run as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Danny, and WELCOME to what I like to call "Club Lazy Q!" 8)

You've seen the previous posts about comparisons (thanks guys!), but let me also add what else you get with the SI.

First, you get the best warranty (3 years).  However, you will likely not need it...they're reliable, and built like tanks.

Next, you get some of the best customer support EVER!  Steve, the owner, handles every customer support issue himself, and it gets handled right!  Can't get much better than the company founder & President helping you!

Also, you get innovation!  Steve is so far ahead of the competition, it's not even funny!  First with a "true" PID (scientific-grade) integrated controller, more capacity, better upgrades (handles, casters, stands/carts), NSF-certification (this is a big deal in the commercial world, and SI is the only ones that are).

Last, but certainly not least, you get US!  We are the most-active manufacturer's BBQ forum on the internet, bar-none!  We have more activity, from satisfied SI owners, than anyone else (of ANY brand).  Spend some time looking through the various boards, and you'll see what I mean!  We are a bunch of friendly, like-minded folks who enjoy, and appreciate, each other, and it shows!  I've never been involved with such a fine group of people who genuinely love their smokers, and also helping others!  We've successfully turned an awful lot of new smokers into seasoned Pit Masters in a very short amount of time!

So, as you can see, I'm pretty excited about where this company is going, and what we have to offer here!  I am not employed by SI, but can tell you it is hands-down the best value in a commercial-grade smoker out there.  Steve Raichlen, of BBQ Bible, recently endorsed Smokin-It! 

BBQ Bible Smokin-It Smokers

Bottom line... You won't regret the decision to go with the SI over any others!  So come on and join us! :D

Thanks Guys for the responses. I fought off the urge to take the short drive to Ponca city the other day and tour CS and decided to wait until I talked with Steve. I was hoping there would be some type of holiday special going on and didn't want to blow it by pulling the trigger too soon if there was. I'm leaning heavily towards the 3D simply because its not much more $$ than the 2D and it has the integrated controller and has more meat capacity. Not sure if I will really need the bigger cabinet as I don't normally do large smokes for big crowds of folks but I tend to have the attitude "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".
I tried to reach Steve on Wed but being the day before the holiday he was probably like the rest of us and already on holiday mode. I will try again today and if not try again Monday.

Danny, I was going to suggest you watch for the free cover special, but I see it is going on now. Time for a Christmas present to yourself! I would assume Steve will be available Friday, being that it is a pretty big shopping day.

"Black Friday Special!! Free black cover, chip screen and rib hooks with the purchase of any model smoker!!"

Welcome Dan from SE Arizona. Going to do a PLUS 1 on what Tony and the others have said.  Having owned a Cookshack (CS) 066 for over 4 years, I can attest to the quality. I cranked out a lot of very good Q over the years.  Owning a 3D permits me to tell you to save your money and get the 3D.  That is not a slam against the CS.  It is a compliment; the build quality of SI smokers is that good and SI's standard features are better for a much better price.  And the Q I am making now is just terrific. No regrets.

Talked to Steve today and just pulled the trigger on my 3D. Got the cold smoke plate and stainless slotted grate for seafood. Now I just have the suspense and wait. I've got a great wife too, she was encouraging me to get it. I told her I was about to back out and just wait and she said we can afford it and I never buy myself anything anyway so "gitter done", so I gotter done. Now I just need to decide whats gonna go in it for the maiden voyage. Hmmmm, ribs? Loin? It will definitley be something Pork.

Congrats! You made the right decision for sure. First smoke: bone-in pork butt for pulled pork. Look for a butt that is 8 pounds or larger. It smokes a good long time, adds a lot of good additional seasoning after your initial seasoning, and is practically guaranteed success for your first smoke and getting to know your smoker. Check the pork section for Tony's (DM) brine for pork butt. If you have a membership at Sam's, they have the best bone-in pork butts. Otherwise, check your local butcher or supermarket.

Back