New to Smokin-it

jagdad

Harry from DFW area, new to smoking. Ordered the #2 and it should arrive this week, looking forward to it. Have a prime brisket (12 lb) and an boston butt to try out, see what happens, any suggestions or if anyone can point me to the discussion on types of wood, wife doesn't like strong smoke taste, mild is good thinking apple for the butt and possibly hickory or oak for the brisket. Hope I posted correctly.

Welcome.  I'd suggest doing the butt first.  They are more forgiving than a brisket.  Go to the pork forum and check out the sticky thread at the top on pork butt.  Brisket and Pork butt will use similar amounts of wood, in the 6 - 8 oz. range. 

Welcome Harry from SE Arizona. Your post is fine.  As for wood, I am a hickory user. Alder for salmon.  Look in the wood section for types and weights used as well as the pork and beef sections. I think you will be safe starting with 3 ounces of the wood of your choice.  If the taste is too mild, you can go to 4 ounces or 5 on the next smoke, then more if needed.  And inexpensive digital scale and a note pad to record meat, wood, time, weather and the like will help you repeat great results and avoid repeating a bad experience. 

Welcome to the family, Jagdad!  I'm in Garland, so we're pseudo neighbors.  ;)  I also have the #2 and love it.

Hickory has a fairly strong flavor...  if you want something stronger than apple or cherry (which I consider mild), but milder than hickory then give pecan a try.  It doesn't take much wood at all in these critters, so take care to not over-do it if you're going for less smoke.

Welcome Harry! Looks like the DFW crowd is growing. I’m from Carrollton. Your at the right place to learn from some good folks. Again welcome!

Howdy jagdad / Harry and welcome.

Just received my #1 yesterday and broke it in and will smoke beef ribs today for the first go round.

I'm just south of the DFW in Crowley and look forward to your posting.

Keep smoking!

John

Welcome from East Texas! Pork butt is a great choice. Not much to go wrong and at the end you have quite a lot of delicious smoked meat.  There are many here that smoke several at a time and vacuum seal the majority of the meat for later use or when time doesn't allow for firing up the smoker. A vacuum sealer is a good investment if you can swing it. Looking forward to your posts.

Welcome Harry! Pork butt is a great inaugural smoke! That's what mine was with my #1. If you are concerned with smoke strength, start with milder woods. Avoid hickory (my favorite :() and mesquite. Fruit (cherry, apple) and nut woods (like pecan), along with maple and oak (great for beef) might be preferable. Try hickory once you've worked yourself up to it.

Back