New to Lazy Q

ROC_BBQ

I'm making the transition from charcoal (small Weber & a Brinkman water bullet). Over the past 5 years or so I've made some great BBQ. But the task of monitoring temperatures, and the continuous refiring, has pushed me to look for an easier alternative. I'm looking forward to seeing what the SI #1 can do.
I have some baby backs and chicken thighs rubbed and ready for some smoke tomorrow. I plan on using a few ounces of hickory and apple at 235 and think I'll pull the chicken after 2.5 hours and let the BBs go for another two hours.
Thanks to all who have contributed to the forum. I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and learning the ins/outs of lazy Q on the SI. 

Welcome Jason, from Florida. Good luck with your new #1. I think you will find that Lazy Q becomes a very easy mode to fall into with these smokers. Sounds like you already have the timing and wood amount (3 oz) ready to go. Let us know how you make out and maybe take some pictures.

Welcome Jason from Saint Augustine,

I think you are really going to like the Lazy Q smoking. With this kind of smoking you can keep it simple or add a bit of your own flare for excellent BBQ.

Greg

Jason, welcome from the Florida Keys. I'm sure you will enjoy your new SI and all the great information on this forum.

Welcome Jason! I just got my SI2 a couple months ago and I'm already a much improved smoker because of this forum. A ton of information on here and if you can't find what you're looking for just ask. Everyone here is extremely generous with their knowledge and love sharing their experience with fellow SI owners.  A lot of good people on here with lots of info so take full advantage of it. We all love pics so remember to post whenever you finish something.

Welcome to "Club Lazy Q," Jason! 8)  Sounds like you've been hanging around here, and already have a plan, so just let us know how we can help if you need it!  You're about to increase your Q production quite a bit (too easy not to)!!

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice that's here in the forum. I'm pleased with my first SI experience. I used 3 oz. of hickory & applewood, set it at 235, and walked away.. I took the chicken thighs off after 2.5 hours and then let the ribs go for another 2. I think the chicken could have been removed at 2 hours but they were good. I'm not sure how to deal with the rubbery skin though. The ribs were cooked perfectly. I do miss the subtle charcoal flavor but the hardwood smoke was just right and they were cooked just to my liking (clean bite off the bone). Clean up was a breeze! I'm looking forward to a longer smoke with a pork shoulder next time. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0655.jpg
    IMAG0655.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMAG0657.jpg
    IMAG0657.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG0660.jpg
    IMAG0660.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMAG0662.jpg
    IMAG0662.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 300
Limey said:
Looks great, Jason. Most of us crisp up the chicken skin on the grill. Happy smoking.
Thanks Limey. That was going to be my plan with the chicken but a heavy downpour foiled that. Weather permitting I'll give that a try next time.

Welcome Jason,  you will have a great opportunity with the smokin-it to do up some outstanding Lake Ontario salmon.

Back