New Smokin-it #2 First smoke tonight

kelvinator

Well I got my #2 seasoned Monday night. Everything seems to be in working order. Was originally going to try pork butt for the first smoke but given the time it takes to be done seems to be all over the place I decided to try meatloaf as the first thing to smoke since I have some ground beef laying around in the freezer.

Using Ray's recipe that I got out of Jeff's Smoking Meat book. Hoping it turns out good. Contemplating whether or not I want to put some of the season in the mix versus just on top of the meatloaf and hoping it finishes in 3 hours otherwise going to have to find a backup meal for dinner. I noticed the smoking times PDF posted on this forum says 250 degrees for meatloaf. I think Jeff's book says 225 degrees. I will have to double check on that when I get home though. Maybe 250 is best to make sure it finishes on time. I am putting the meatloaf in a 9x13 tray with holes poked in the bottom to let the grease drain. Hopefully that doesn't mess with the internal temperature probe. I will probably put the pan towards the top and leave space in the back for heat to rise past the internal probe.

I also ordered the sampler pack from Maine Grilling Woods that comes with 10 different kinds of wood for a total of 8lbs. Was only 25 bucks and free shipping so it was a good deal for me since the Smokin-it uses such a small amount of wood I didn't wanna order 20lbs of one kind from fruitawood until I have a better idea of the woods I favor the most.

I did Jeffs meatloaf and it was A+ great.  I used the small "muffin" pan size for 2lbs.  I think the purpose for that was to get to 165 degree temp quicker.  If you search meatloaf you can probably see the pictures I posted.  Good luck.  Meatloaf will be on my once a month to do list. 

Since there is no muscle tissue to break down, low temp setting is just a time consumer.  This would be an example of where a plus 250 setting would be handy.  A roast rack or a small cooling rack set in a 9" X 13" pan would also be a way to keep the meatloaf out of the grease.
I used this for a different purpose but this is the idea.

smkpie3_zpsd1c3c315.jpg

jcboxlot said:
I did Jeffs meatloaf and it was A+ great.  I used the small "muffin" pan size for 2lbs.  I think the purpose for that was to get to 165 degree temp quicker.  If you search meatloaf you can probably see the pictures I posted.  Good luck.  Meatloaf will be on my once a month to do list.

What are the dimensions of a small muffin pan? The 9x13 does seem to be on the big side, definitely down need one that big.

SuperDave said:
Since there is no muscle tissue to break down, low temp setting is just a time consumer.  This would be an example of where a plus 250 setting would be handy.  A roast rack or a small cooling rack set in a 9" X 13" pan would also be a way to keep the meatloaf out of the grease.
I used this for a different purpose but this is the idea.

smkpie3_zpsd1c3c315.jpg

Do you think this is a better method than poking holes in the bottom?

Also some have just made their meatloaf form, wrapped it in plastic for a an hour or two to firm up the shape, and then just unwrapped and placed the meat directly on the grate.

Regarding the temp, most oven meatloaf recipes you see recommend baking at 325-375.

I don't mess with foil boats to prevent the smoker belch, so what I would recommend is 45 minutes at 140, then crank it to 250 and let it fly with 2-3 ounces of wood until you hit 150-155. In my opinion 165 may be a little high for the internal temp. I did a quick search of Meatloaf recipes and one said to cook to 150, and two others to 155. But you will have to judge by look/feel too.

kelvinator, I guess some of the grease control options might vary depending on the mix of ground beef you've used.  I've seen a cup of grease in a meatloaf pan and wouldn't want it in the inside of my smoker if I could easily avoid it. 

NDKoze said:
Also some have just made their meatloaf form, wrapped it in plastic for a an hour or two to firm up the shape, and then just unwrapped and placed the meat directly on the grate.

Regarding the temp, most oven meatloaf recipes you see recommend baking at 325-375.

I don't mess with foil boats to prevent the smoker belch, so what I would recommend is 45 minutes at 140, then crank it to 250 and let it fly with 2-3 ounces of wood until you hit 150-155. In my opinion 165 may be a little high for the internal temp. I did a quick search of Meatloaf recipes and one said to cook to 150, and two others to 155. But you will have to judge by look/feel too.

Why would a 9x13 aluminum pan cause a smoker belch? I set up the foil at the bottom of the smoker and the wood last night. I put a two ounce piece I got with the smoker. Wasn't sure how much to use but didn't wanna risk going to high for the first smoke. But yeah I cooked in a restaurant for 4 years prior to my current IT job so I will probably shoot for 155-160 just to make sure bacteria is killed and the temp will probably raise another 5 degrees during the rest period.

I used a 10 x 7 muffin pan and it held just about 2 lbs.  Not the humumgo Dunkin Donuts size muffins.

If its not too late, go get some store fresh mac and cheese. 

Pour in foil pan.

Add, pankos and favorite rub/spice. 

Add to the cook. 

Line the loaf pan with saran wrap, place your mixture in it & place in refrigerator to firm up for a couple of hours.  When you remove it to cook, take it out of the loaf pan & unwrap the saran wrap & place directly on the rack in your smoker.  This will allow the meatloaf to get maximum smoke exposure.  Dont worry about grease in your smoker.  That is why we line the bottom (with a hole poked in where the drain is) & the top of the smoke box with aluminum foil.  For you stickburners new to the sight, this is the only foil you should ever use in your NEW smoker.  Wrapping meat in this smoker is detrimental to bark and completely unnecessary for moisture.

Walt said:
Line the loaf pan with saran wrap, place your mixture in it & place in refrigerator to firm up for a couple of hours.  When you remove it to cook, take it out of the loaf pan & unwrap the saran wrap & place directly on the rack in your smoker.  This will allow the meatloaf to get maximum smoke exposure.  Dont worry about grease in your smoker.  That is why we line the bottom (with a hole poked in where the drain is) & the top of the smoke box with aluminum foil.  For you stickburners new to the sight, this is the only foil you should ever use in your NEW smoker.  Wrapping meat in this smoker is detrimental to bark and completely unnecessary for moisture.

Hmmm well I will have to go that route next time as I am not off work till ~4:30 today and have to start it as soon as I get home for it to be ready on time :/

The reality of Q is it is different all over the country.  And the beauty in that is there are no absolutes.  We are all likely to smoke the way we like to eat it. 

Well I think I already kinda messed up haha. I set it at 250 and went to the store came back and white smoke was coming out. opened the door and pulled out the smoke box and tried to tighten the foil wrapping on the wood better. I couldn't tell if it was on fire or not when I opened it but a TON of white smoke came out. I did the foil method everyone talked about just made a foil boat for the block of wood but not sure that was enough...

I am not sure if I should try adding more wood or not...

Should I add more wood?

I think I may as there is no more smoke coming out of the box and I am only an hour and 15 minutes into the smoke

Better to error on the side of less smoke than too much.  I'm admittedly a noob to this technology but I think these things become Cheech & Chong mobiles and hold smoke even after it quits producing smoke.  The veterans can confirm or deny my thought. 

Yeah idk, the first piece was producing a ton of white smoke when I got back and I opened the door and it all came out after readjusting the wood it stopped smoking so I put another ounce of wood in wrapped better than before.

Well after three hours and opening the door three times the meatloaf is at 142. My temp probe says the smoker is hovering between 260-280 with some spikes to 285. I have it set to 250. May just finish it off in the oven  :-\

Update: The second piece of wood I put in did not burn so I will continue wrapping future wood chunks that way and hopefully wont have any flare ups. I will make a post in the meat section about how the meatloaf turned out

Back