New Smoker

Midnight Smoker

Hello everyone

My name is Dustin from Macomb, IL. I am brand new to smoking. I just purchased my #1. First I want to give a shout-out to Smokin-It. I went to order the #1 around Christmas time, and they were all sold out. Finally they were back in stock on Dec. 29. I ordered on Dec. 29 thinking I would receive it on Jan 5-6. I received it on Dec 31 and began smoking on New Years Day. Thank you Smokin It! My first smoke was a rack of St Louis Ribs, as was my second one. Some questions I have:
What is the key to getting a good crust?
Both times, my ribs were not done after using Smokin-It suggested recipes. 225 for 4.5 hrs and 235 for 6 hours. Does the outside weather play a factor?
I used about 6oz of Hickory the first smoke, and I thought it was about perfect. The second smoke I used 3.5 oz (like suggested many times) on this board and I didn't think it was as good.

Dustin welcome from Southwest Arkansas. Can you give us a little more information about the process you used for your 2 St. Louis style rib smokes? 1. What type of rub did you use? 2. Did you foil the ribs during either smoke or did you go no peek all the way? 3. Did you apply sauce after they were cooked? all 3 of those can effect the end product you are looking for. On your 1st smoke 4.5 hours at 225 degrees is not long enough for St. Louis Cut Spare Ribs to get done (In my opinion). Plus 6 ounces of wood seems heavy to me but smoke taste is very subjective and everybody's is different. If you thought it was about right then go with what you like. The 2nd smoke done for 6 hours at 235 degrees should have been about right, time wise, depending on how you like your ribs. One thing to remember is the Smokin It Guide is just that, a guide to put you somewhere in the ballpark. it is not a etched in stone matter of fact.  Again, the end result is very subjective to individual taste and preference. 

Grampy said:
Dustin welcome from Southwest Arkansas. Can you give us a little more information about the process you used for your 2 St. Louis style rib smokes? 1. What type of rub did you use? 2. Did you foil the ribs during either smoke or did you go no peek all the way? 3. Did you apply sauce after they were cooked? all 3 of those can effect the end product you are looking for. On your 1st smoke 4.5 hours at 225 degrees is not long enough for St. Louis Cut Spare Ribs to get done (In my opinion). Plus 6 ounces of wood seems heavy to me but smoke taste is very subjective and everybody's is different. If you thought it was about right then go with what you like. The 2nd smoke done for 6 hours at 235 degrees should have been about right, time wise, depending on how you like your ribs. One thing to remember is the Smokin It Guide is just that, a guide to put you somewhere in the ballpark. it is not a etched in stone matter of fact.  Again, the end result is very subjective to individual taste and preference.

I used "no peek" method. Applied sauce in last 30 minutes. I have seen many different suggestions regarding ribs for time and temp, so I guess it will be trial and error for a while.

Welcome from ND Dustin! You are going to love your #1 and might even decide you need a bigger #2 or #3. ;) You have already found that Smokin-It customer service is top-notch.

Regarding your rib smokes, everyone's preferred amount of smoke is different, but 6 ounces of hickory seems like a lot for ribs. If you like it that smokey more power to ya though.

Regarding time, St Louis Cut and/or full spare ribs will typically take an extra 1.0-1.5 longer than Baby Backs. I prefer the St Louis Cut too and that is what I smoke 90% of the time. What works for me is to smoke at 225 for 6.5-7.5 hours. So, your smoke of 4.5 hours was pretty short and the 6.0 one was on the low side of normal.

I normally don't sauce. But, if I do it is on a cookie sheet under my broiler or on the grill. I hate cleaning my smoker racks after the sauce gets all caramelized and stuck on the racks. I find the cookie sheet is way easier to clean afterward.

For your crust question, do you mean bark? I am not sure that I would want mine crusty as that kind of implies crunchy. I like my ribs to have a nice bark that is dark, dry to the touch, and chewy. I don't want it to snap like a piece of burnt toast.

Assuming that you mean bark ;), lets talk about binders. I didn't see any mention of whether you used a binder on your ribs prior to adding the rub. Using a binder of some type (mustard, oil, molasses, oil, syrup, etc) as well as a healthy dose of brown sugar in your rub are key components to getting a good Bark/Crust. Often times when using store bought rubs, I'll mix it in a bowl with some brown sugar prior to applying on ribs.

So, if you didn't use one, I would strongly recommend that you do so on your next smoke. I prefer to use plain old yellow mustard and rub a healthy dose on my ribs prior to adding my rub. I then like to wrap my ribs in plastic wrap and let them get happy in the fridge for at least an hour or two, but preferred overnight.

Ribs are one of those smokes that you just have to do a bunch of them until you find what works for you.

One last thing, can you explain what are you referring to when you say:
Smokin-It suggested recipes

If you are not referring to the Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods guide or Tony's "Lazy Q" book.

I would definitely check out these two resources if you have not already.

Welcome again! You will find that we are a very helpful bunch here and try to make this as much a family friendly environment.

It was funny. Just last night, my 21-year-old son was over and commented after seeing me responding to some forum posts and texting with a forum member who had just processed his first batch of snack sticks, "Your forum is like its own little family group isn't it? I have never seen a forum like the Smokin-It forum". I responded "Yes, it is son! And you will be fortunate to join this forum some day too."

Dustin, Gregg's (NDKOZE) answer is spot on! He even caught my omission of the binder. I always use plain yellow mustard as well for a binder before applying the rub. 

Back