New smoker on way...

BobAndLinda

Hi, Bob and Linda here. New smoker, model 1 on way... very excited to start learning what we can do with it. Ordered a Maverick therm also... one of our first endeavors will be learning to smoke turkey breasts... 7 to 8 lb size... looking to do this as a way to save on the deli meat bill!!! About how long will it take to do a bone in breast that size... will rely on therm to check IT, but curious as to settings and apx time for such an endeavor.

Welcome Bob and Linda.

I think this is a first that I can remember to have a husband and wife team on the forum which is awesome!

There are several threads on Turkey Breasts in the "Chicken and other Birds" recipe section.

We also have a "Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures, and Woods" document that we wrote that should help as well. You can find the guide in this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

In the guide we have Bone-In Turkey Breast listed with the following:

* Cook at 240°F
* Cook Time 4-6 hrs.
* Cook to 165° Internal Temperature
* 2-2.5 oz. of Cherry, Hickory, Pecan, Apple, Maple

I hope this helps.

I have done a few 7# turkey breasts.  At 225-230F, I usually need about 4-4.5 hours.  You definitely want to work off of the IT temp of the breast rather than time.  Try cherry wood if you have it, very nice.  Hickory has worked well too.

Hi Bob & Linda!  Welcome to the party!  Y'all are in for some good times with your new friend on the way!  Check out the section for new owners, and let us know how we can help.  You'll find many of the questions you have are in here, and discussed a bunch.  There's a great search feature, up top on the right (under the SI logo).  Go to any section you want, like Chicken and Other Birds, then type "turkey breast" in the search box and hit Enter - voila!  Lots of specific answers to your questions.

Spend a little time around the many topics, and you'll be a pit master in no time!

Also, a town in your signature line is a nice touch. ;)

We're almost neighbors!  Great area - I lived across the river in Lebanon IL, when I was stationed at Scott AFB back in the 80's.  Love the St Louis area.

Hey, what a coincidence … I've got one on the way too!  I'm a widowed/retired female who's wanted a smoker my whole life.  My friend reminded me recently that we (she and I) are "at an age where we shouldn't be putting things off."  That's all the encouragement I needed to add the Model-1 to my cart and make the purchase just yesterday.  I was pleased to find a "holiday special" going on right now, so my new smoker will come with a cover, a chip screen and rib hooks.  Whatta deal … yoo-hoo … can't wait.

Welcome to the family, Toni!  You will be very pleased with what you can do with these smokers, and with very little effort  ::)  That's why we call it Lazy Q!  Cheers!

www.bertramgallery.com

More on my art page on FB... website has not be updated in forever!
First smoke today went well! Turkey breast... a lot faster than I expected...7 or 8 pounder hit 165 in a tad over three hours at 240 degree setting on the model 1. Delicious. Very pleased!!!

Hey Bob and Linda, welcome. I am new here myself and just purchased the number 3 model. I was born and raised in a little town just north of you guys in Winfield, Mo. I lived in Ballwin for a little bit in my travels but am back in my hometown. I work all around the St. Louis area in my construction business. I have only done one smoke so far but it was a success and a no brainer and I am 52 and this was my first try. Truly set it and forget it. I think you will love it.

Back