New smoker from NH

Kmac

Hi everyone!  Well after doing a lot of reasearch I went ahead and ordered model #1 for my family of 4.  Several of my friends have The Egg, and although it does produce great tasting meats, I just don't have the time or patience to babysit a smoker like that.  I am a busy mom with two young kids and love the convenience, safety, and ease of clean up this smoker offers.  Can't wait to get it and try it out...hopefully in time for the superbowl! Go Pats!

Karen

P.S.  Love this family friendly forum!

Welcome from ND Karen!

I would think you would have it in time before the SB no problem.

I can't help you with rooting for the Pats though. Ugh ;)

Seahawks are going to be tough to beat, NDKoze, but I can't wait to watch the superbowl with lots of friends and some good smoked ribs, steaks, or pulled pork!

Karen

Kmac said:
Seahawks are going to be tough to beat, NDKoze, but I can't wait to watch the superbowl with lots of friends and some good smoked ribs, steaks, or pulled pork!

Karen

I am all about that. You could end up bringing a whole new set of Smokin-It friends to our little group after they taste the food that it produces and want to buy their own Smokin-It smoker. ;)

I would try to do some small test batches prior to the big day to make sure you have everything down.

+1

Nail down some rib racks for comfort level and or a pork butt if you are having people over.

Let the smoker do the work and enjoy the game.

I will definitely need to practice a bit before the big day, but with all the information on this forum, I should do pretty well with whatever I choose.  Will let you all know how things go! 

Congrats on your new smoker! These guys give great advice. The only thing I will add is to take a few notes on your smokes. I think that these smokers will give very repeatable results once you nail down all of the details. I am learning all of this myself from the good folk here, and so far so good! Good luck with the Super Bowl....darn Texans........

Nice! Welcome!

Pats will win. I'm indifferent but they will win as Tom Brady is the best ever and the best ever need to share in all records of any kind. That's my logic. And I'm not a pats fan.

What does the +1 mean when people write that? Man I'm only 39 and one can see just getting close to 40 I am losing social hip awareness.

Polish Q said:
Nice! Welcome!

Pats will win. I'm indifferent but they will win as Tom Brady is the best ever and the best ever need to share in all records of any kind. That's my logic. And I'm not a pats fan.

What does the +1 mean when people write that? Man I'm only 39 and one can see just getting close to 40 I am losing social hip awareness.
I am 43 and do not know half the lingo floating around these days! +1 means you agree with the comments above. I would agree with the Pats comments but I thought the same thing when Manning played Seattle last year. It ought to be a very entertaining game.

Welcome, Karen!  I like you already - that's my wife's name! ;) ;D

Congrats on the new Little Guy on the way!  It's a great performer, and my first, too!  I recommend a good old bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork to start out!  Gives you a good chance to stretch the Little Guy's legs, and see how it performs for a long smoke.  And, the Boston butt is very forgiving - really hard to go wrong with it!

You should definitely have it by SB time - and we all know it should by my Pack against the Pats, not the Hawks! >:(

DivotMaker said:
and we all know it should by my Pack against the Pats, not the Hawks! >:(

+1 on the Pack  :'( heartbreaking loss. Since Russell Wilson was our quarterback here at the University of Wisconsin, I will root for him (except when he plays the Packers of course).

Karen - Nice to meet another female smoke-jockey!

Thanks Tony!  I think i will do just that!  Would have rather played against the Packers!  Maybe next year?

Kari, nice to meet you too!  I do all of the cooking at home but have never smoked (except for an occasional cigar  ;)  Can't wait to start.  I almost think my puppy Murphy will be even more excited once he gets his paws on the smokey bones!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 267
Kari, I'm sure Murphy will be thrilled!  I know my Meathead (Cyrus) is! ;)

Attachments

• 2013-05-25 17.47.52.jpg
    2013-05-25 17.47.52.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 261
Well I couldn't have asked for a better weekend!  Smoked my first Boston butt and St. Louis style ribs this weekend (both were yummy!), my son scored 4 goals in his 2 hockey games on Sunday, and THE PATRIOTS WON THE SUPERBOWL!  Doesn't get much better than that!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 299
Thanks Bob!  Murphy enjoyed chewing on the smokey bone too!  He devoured it!

I saw a recipe for smoked salmon on Youtube which uses a dry brine and finishes with an apricot glaze.  Sounds yummy!  I think I will try that this week.  http://youtu.be/St8au0YcONM

Having a lot of fun with my new toy!

Karen 

Karen, that is one of the better hot-smoked salmon videos I have see on youtube. Dry brine is the way to go. I highly recommend the frog mats he talks about. I love them. You can do without, but if you like your results, and think you will be doing a lot more smoked salmon, you should look into them. I stick a probe into the thickest piece, from the side of the piece, and smoke to internal temp of 130-135. That's just my preference (might be lower temp than others), and it might take less time than 2 hours. I make as much as I can fit in the smoker, then give it to friends and family. They say it's the best (and most moist) smoked salmon they have ever had. I agree. I have just started working on a test batch of cold smoked salmon (lox). It's smoked, and mellowing in the fridge, but so far it tastes great.

Kari, thanks for the tips!  I am going to smoke some salmon this weekend for a friends gathering.  Will let you know how the recipe turns out.  Not sure which wood I will choose.  Any recommendations? 

Karen

Back