New owner of a #1 in Minneapolis

vintner

Hi.
Although I have been a smoker for a long time, I added a #1 for the lower temp smoking.
I am an owner of a big green egg and a gas grill and former owner of a Masterbuilt 40".
I can do some pretty great food on the BGE, but the really low temps are easier from an electric smoker.  Those lower temps are good for the jerky and beef sticks.  Little higher for, well, you know, you have been doing it for a long time too.

Few things go along with some good smoked food like a good bottle of wine, and that is the name 'vintner'.  I have been a wine maker since 1986.

I will likely be more of a lurker than poster, so just know that although I may be quiet, I am still around.

Don.

Welcome from Texas Don! BBQ and wine sounds like a great combo. Keep us updated on your smoking experiences.

Welcome from Wisconsin Don! Be sure to try some ribs, poultry, pork butt and brisket in your #1 too. You might be surprised with the results, and the ease. I fit big whole packer briskets in my #1, cut in half, with the point fat-side-down on the lower rack, and the flat fat-side-up on the upper rack. Turns out great.

TexasSMK said:
Welcome Don, enjoy your smoker--must warn you, it may make you want to chuck the BGE.  ;D

Figured I would do some cleanup to the 'egg crate' that I built for the BGE.  Took the egg out, looked it over and found some damage.  Yup, I have a cracked egg.  So now I am in the process of finding the documents to get it replaced, but I doubt I will chuck the egg.

I wouldn't chuck the egg either. The Egg still definitely has a place when doing high temp grilling that the SI is not capable of doing. Plus, you still may want to smoke some ribs in there once and awhile for nostalgia purposes. But, I have a feeling you may not be smoking any brisket or boston butts in there anymore. ;)

Back