New Model 3 in Seattle area

zenbrew

Hi All:

My name is Brian and I just rcvd today my new Model 3. I have been smoking on a Smokin Tex 1400 about 10-12 times a year for the last 3 years and I like the way this style smoker delivers delicious, low maintenance, smoked goodies. The units are very similar so I have most of the mechanics down.

I bought the Smokin-It mainly because I needed a larger unit for some pork butts I promised I'd do for the post wedding party of my brother in law's son. I wanted to do 4 nice sized butts and the Smokin Tex 1400 in my opinion is only good for 2 butts with good circulation room around them. I am also an avid beer home brewer and have commited 10-15 gallons of beer for the party as well.  I also just finished building a rolling portable kegerator to take to the party. So I have been incredibly strapped for time the last couple weeks as I have been prepping and planning my over committed time LOL. 

Now I am normally a pretty avid user of the search function, but I am so strapped for time this week I hoped I could draw upon the good will of the smokin folk here to help me out with a couple quick questions. Could I have a ballpark estimate of smoking time for (4) pork butts all between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs? So about 32lbs of meat. Temp 225 to start, then to 250 after hour number two. Also what is a good wood amount estimate? I use a 70/30 mix of Apple and Cherry and would have used about 4-5 ounces for two butts in my old Smokin Tex 1400.

Thanx so much
Cheers
Brian

Welcome aboard, Brian!  The 1400 is a fine unit, but very similar in size to the #2.  You'll love the Q real estate available in the #3!

The timing should be similar to that for 2 butts.  I'd allow 12-16 hours.  6 oz of wood will be plenty.  One thing I'd recommend, due to the meat load, is smoke them at 240 rather than 225.  You won't lose any tenderness or moisture, and will account for the extra weight better.

Considering you're smoking 4 butts (one of my all-time favorites) and providing 10-15 gallons of home brew, I'm gonna need you to PM me your address and what time the party starts, K?  Yeah, that'd be great. ;) 8)

Thank you for the reply. The smokin real estate definitely looks good in the Model 3. I figured the cook time wouldn't be too different for (4) butts. Maybe a bit longer to get all the food mass up to temp, but then again the Model 3 has a larger element than my 1400, so I'm sure that helps a lot.

The party is at my brother in laws house, and they are already pushing near 100 on the guest list. Could be slim pickings on the butts, although there will be lots of other food there.  You're welcome anytime I am using the unit at home. (Good excuse to visit Seattle  :) ) and there is always home brewed beer on tap at my place. Sometimes I get to brewing quite a bit. I don't even want to get into how much refrigeration I have  :o

One thing alike about home brewers and smokers is we love to share our products with anyone who appreciates them.

Brian

Sounds like a good time ahead, Brian!  Too bad Seattle's more than a day trip from Arkansas! :(  You definitely have it right about the sharing part!  With your 1400 experience, you definitely know what these style smokers can produce...the best Q anyone's ever had!!

Maybe we can talk Brian into hosting the first annual SI members smoke out with that kegerator and home brewing skills he'd be just the man for the job!!!

Sure, I'd love to host. Everyone can truck on in to my place with their smokers in tow. I'll tap everyone a beer, then we can fire up all the smokers and watch my electrical panel melt.  :)

Welcome Brian. I think you might be the first member to have used a SmokinTex.  I could be wrong. Welcome again.

Hi Brian, welcome to the club. I also have the #3 and it is a great unit.  I would be curious to get your opinion and preference between the two smokers one you have used the #3 after a few smokes.

Brian, I would also like to see a comparison and your impressions.  Not looking for knocks, just opinion of value for the money spent, feature comparison, that sort of thing.

And happy smoking.

Back