New Model #2 owner - 1st smoke turkey

tnlyne

Got my model #2 on Christmas Eve. Finished seasoning it at 1:30am Christmas Day. Prepared christmas dinner with 12.4 lb turkey rubbed with olive oil and chicken montreal seasoning. Smoked using peach wood (~3oz) from 12:30pm to 5:15pm today and pulled the bird at 165 degrees IT for ~45-60 minute rest wrapped in foil and put into cooler with towel cover. Turned out very tasty and the family enjoyed it. I'm impressed and very happy I did my research convincing my gifters why this Smokin-It #2 was the one I had to have!

The forums are very rich and full of information here. I'd love to learn more about smoking things like vegetables, mac and cheese, cheesy potatoes, and seafood if anyone has pointers where to find good info on this. Can this be done while smoking the meat(s) or is it something that should be separately managed and cooked after the meat is done?

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 295
Looks and sounds like a successful first smoke. Nice job!

Welcome to the site. I haven't seen much on smoking veggies other than potatoes. But it sounds like an interesting topic.

Welcome Tman...great job on the turkey!  Yes, you can smoke side dishes with meat.  I have done potatoes, mac & cheese, baked beans on the top shelf of my #2 while the meat smokes below.  Do a search for mac & cheese and you will find a post that I provided a while back using Jeff Phillips recipe--excellent!  Cheers

Nice looking bird, Tman!  One thing I find, that really helps with keeping a turkey moist, is to fill the cavity with equal parts chopped onion, celery and carrots.  The cooking veggies really give the meat a good flavor, make it cook more evenly, and make the meat more juicy.  It's all a learning process, and you'll get better with each smoke!  Pit Master in no time flat! :D 

Thanks Everyone!

Now I'm onto my 2nd (Ribs with Mac and Cheese) and 3rd (12 lb packer brisket) smokes. I'll try to take photos for those posts.

Don't be scared to brine an 8% injected bird, just use less salt. Add more flavor than salt, I like citrus and spices.

Back