flying smoker

Hello all,

Thanks for this forum.  I've just started the "smoking life" on my SI2.  Long time gas griller, new to the smoking scene.  I've spent days on this forum and truly appreciate the group of seasoned smokers (no pun intended) and the willingness of all members to assist in all matters.

Started with chicken today and planning a butt for the upcoming weekend (based on member inputs).

Thanks for the family atmosphere.

Welcome from Texas Deron! A pork butt is a great choice anytime but especially for new smokers because it is a long smoke and really adds great seasoning to the inside of the smoker.

Welcome Daron from sunny HOT Florida. On that upcoming butt buy a bone in Boston butt.
Get some apple juice and your favorite Butt Rub. Mix some of the rub into the apple juice and make an injection marinade. Inject it heavy and place on the refrigerator overnight. I do mine in white garbage bags and remove all the air you can before refrigeration. The next day remove from the bag pat slightly dry and cover in rub. 

Six ounces wood max. Pear, or apple wood is my favorite for pork butt, but hardwoods will work depending on your taste.

You will love the world of smoking and with your new Si you hit a home run.

Don't worry about people telling you those bags are not food safe, you aren't cooking in them.   

Welcome aboard, Deron!  Great to have another Southerner with us!  Let us know how we can help, and happy smoking! 8)

Back