elk_smoker

Hello to all.

I am posting this per the forum rules to introduce myself. I reside in Southeastern Louisiana.

I'm not a Smokin-it owner yet, but I intend to be soon. I have been using stick burners for 30 years and switched earlier this year to my first electric smoker. My experience with that smoker was NOT a good one. On my third smoke in the unit, the smoke generator, which also controlled the heating element, died on me in the middle of the smoke! I wasn't aware of this for over an hour and subsequently had to trash $30.00 worth of meat that was sitting in the 100F range! I have absolutely no tolerance for that kind of product quality and returned it to Cabela's the next day. I have to say that Cabela's was wonderful in taking it back and gave me a full refund. I was also able to return $200.00 worth of proprietary smoking wood to Home Depot that same week.

So, here I am. I have been researching electric smokers for weeks now. My research has led me to Smokin-It. I have read every last review I can find on the internet concerning the Smokin-It brand, including the forums here, Amazon, smokingmeatforums, bbq-brethren, etc, etc, etc....  I have been able to discover only TWO negative reviews of the Smokin-It, and one of those is highly suspect as being "counterfeit". I am seriously impressed by what I have read so far, and believe me, after my experience earlier this year, I have been scrutinizing every forum post, purchase review, the BBB, complaint websites, on-and-on-and-on....

I look forward to a long and happy relationship with Smokin-It and the forum!

One thing I am very, very curious about the the 2nd Generation smoker with the integrated PID. Is there an ETA on when those will be released on the market?

Thanks in advance,
elk_smoker

Welcome, Elk!  Your extensive research has paid off, and you are in the right place!  I purchased a #2 nearly two years ago and it is in operation nearly every weekend...nothing but good Q, and very reliable.  Cheers!

Welcome from ND Elk.

The build quality and customer service that you will get with the Smokin-It far surpasses most of the other smoker brands out there.

I think you will be very happy with an SI should you choose to purchase.

Regarding the Next Gen PID models, I don't think we have heard much about these lately. So, I don't think I would wait for it. You can order a current model and an Auber and probably have more precision and options than you will with the PID models that are in the works. Personally, I have not ordered an Auber yet and don't really feel the need to do it anytime soon. I am putting out some pretty damn good food without it. They are very nice to have, but by no means necessary.

Thanks NDKoze!    That is good news! 

I really cannot decide whether to purchase the Auber PID with the smoker or wait and get it later.  I am looking forward to using the SI (probably a #3).

The only other thing I need to work out before I purchase is mobility of the smoker.  I will need to keep it in a storage shed that is raised, so I have a ramp and about 50 feet of yard to contend with to get the smoker onto the patio.  The 4 inch casters aren't going to handle that, so I need to come up with either a cart of some sort with pneumatic tires, or some other solution.

Regardless, I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this thing!  :D

Thanks to all!

Hi Elk!  You've done some great research - thank you!  I know the smoker you had to trash, as I almost went that route too, before finding SI!  Now, I'm so glad I found this smoker.  I know you'll be very happy with your decision.

As for the digital smoker:  We are working on a new version, but it will still be awhile before production.  I would definitely go with the standard model - they work great.  You can add the Auber PID, if you want +/- 1° accuracy, and 6 programmable steps, but it is NOT required to produce some really good Q!

Transporting to the deck:  Leave it there, with a cover!  These smokers are all stainless steel, so they are weatherproof.  The cover just keeps the elements off.  I recommend the cart, as it gets the smoker up to a comfortable height.  I leave mine on a covered porch with a cover.

Let us know how we can help!  That's how we roll, around here! 8)

Hi Elk:

Welcome!  I have to agree with everyone else on here, that you will not be disappointed in your Smokin-It #3.  I have the #2, and as much as I love it, I want to upgrade, and eventually will buy the #3.  I just like the fact that you can fit a full rack of ribs in a #3 without cutting them in half, but any model is built like a tank.  The people on this forum also help make for a great experience, and the customer service is A++.  Where else can you get a personally signed note of thanks from the owner thanking you for the purchase?  That alone impressed me, and when I opened the box of my smoker, I could immediately tell the quality was so much better than anything I found at my local sports store. 

I look forward to hearing from you about your experience. 

Elk
I have a #3 and love it since the day it arrived. I like the fact i can put a full rack of ribs on the shelf.

I have not smoked a lot of volume yet, but its a beast. I have done ribs, pork butt, turkey, chicken thighs, brisket flats, and canadian bacon.

I was not a smoker before this but now i consider myself a semi-pit master.

If you get an auber you will turn the smoker from great to awesome.

Go big!

Back