New Member, Not So New Smoker..

Mike Fitz

Hey all, been catching up on some smoking topics since I've been a bit "out of the loop" lately and started reading through the discussions here. I have a model 2 from June 2012 that doesn't get used as often as I'd like but I dearly love it.

Thinking about adding a PID controller and doing the permanent probe mod that has been posted here, so cool that new developments have come in since I checked.

Recently bought a sausage stuffer which prompted some renewed interest in smoking, looking forward to some smoked sausages/snack sticks soon!

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, and I can understand your admiration for your SI smoker, they really are awesome.

The forum has really grown and there are sections which are specific to sausage making and snack sticks. I recently purchased a jerky cannon gun from Bass Pro Shop and will try making jerky and snack sticks for my family. If you don't have one already, you should consider the jerky fan for the SI smokers, it really works great. Alternately, you can easily make one of these fans.

Hi Mike!  Glad you've joined us!  Nice to hear from someone who's had their smoker for 2 years.  Yep, lots of new info and "upgrades" since you bought yours!  The company is moving forward all the time, and we're still in the early stages of what's to come. 

The Auber PID with the permanent probe is a fantastic option!  It makes your great smoker truly phenomenal.  With those accessories, it truly becomes a "digital" smoker, with unparalleled accuracy.  I love that setup, and am amazed every time I use it!

I look forward to hearing from you!

I definitely agree on getting the Jerky fan. I have posts in the sausage section describing the bad results I had smoking snack stix without the fan.

I haven't got a fan or done anymore stix yet as that usually occurs in the fall/winter after deer hunting season. But rest assured before I do anymore snack stix I will have a jerky fan. I think it will make a HUGE difference.

There is a ton to read on the forum since you purchased your smoker. Be prepared to increase your meat budget if you keep on reading here ;)

Hey Mike I haven't committed to drinking the PID KoolAid, but the Jerky Fan is awesome. I have never made better jerky than with the SI and the fan.

The PID is a great tool. The best thing about the pid is program the time and temperature. It was worth the investment. It you bypass and get a pid you can definitely hit temps above 250 for an extended period of time.

I have not added the permanent probe yet but i have been getting consistent temps and great product. Smoked ribs and brisket and they were the best ever made.

Back