New Member from Southern California

Kal

Hi all,

Got my # 2 a few weeks ago, very happy with my selection. My first smoke was a butterfly chicken, the color looked great, it was very moist but the smoke was overpowering and left a bitter taste, terrible, I used two chunks of hickory, was that to much wood? My second smoke was St. Louis Ribs, they turned out fantastic! I started a 5lb pork shoulder this morning. Thanks to everyone for their smoking wisdom on the site otherwise I'd be lost in the smoke!

Kal

Attachments

Welcome, Kal!  Yeah, 2 chunks was probably too much for a chicken.  2 to 2.5 oz is more than enough for chicken.  I'd recommend getting a digital kitchen scale to measure your wood - size can be deceiving!

Welcome to the club.  And like Tony said, you did use too much wood.  I have been there, but with a butt.  Nothing like a long overnight smoke going into the trash and sending out for pizza. Weigh it, split it, and enjoy. 

Hi Kal, welcome to the forum. These units us very little work, as they say, a little goes a long way.  And not to worry, all of us have been there with our first smoke. It only gets better from here.

Read through the post here for guidance and you will be a pro in no time.

Back