New From Minnesota

Bowfineater

Hi, My name is Phil, am not new to smoking, but I am new to using a quality smoker.

I have used a cheap vertical barrel type smoker, a small masterbuilt electric, a very cheap barrel smoker with offset box charcoal, and finally a large masterbuilt propane that is really a piece of crap, not insulated, and way too many vents, you have to just cover up with tape to keep the smoke in.  I think I paid $300 for that junk (still trying to sell it)

I guess rather than searching on the internet I just went to the big box store and purchased what I thought looked ok for the price

After about a year of research online, I came to the cook shack, the smokin Tex, and the Smokin-It.

I have decided on the smokin-it 2D wi-if, or the 3D wi-fi.

I do not mind cutting a rack of ribs or a whole brisket in half.  So is the 1200 watt vs the 800 watt and the extra depth worth the $220?

I would really like the 3.5 D wi-if, but that is probably going to happen.

I’m also thinking about the jerky fan, does anyone have it and like it?

Attachments

• 5EF4912C-C1F1-4373-8B50-7E1446458FC9.png.jpg
    5EF4912C-C1F1-4373-8B50-7E1446458FC9.png.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 51080629-A784-42DC-801F-D2F664BCAFBE.png.jpg
    51080629-A784-42DC-801F-D2F664BCAFBE.png.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 172
  • 5153A2DE-03FE-472E-976A-96A706783474.png.jpg
    5153A2DE-03FE-472E-976A-96A706783474.png.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 161
  • 50A7B06E-3AB2-44AA-901B-AC994CFD85F9.png.jpg
    50A7B06E-3AB2-44AA-901B-AC994CFD85F9.png.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 210
I started with the #2 (analog) and am now using the 3DW.  I also have the jerky fan.  There was never a case in over two years of my #2 use that I had a problem with the 800w element being insufficient.  I also haven't found a case where the 1200w element now is particularly required.  I think it's mostly higher wattage simply due to its extra length.  I wouldn't recommend basing the decision on the element size at all... both work equally well with no apparent advantages of one over the other.  (Perhaps, some energy savings of the 800w?)

I never minded cutting my ribs or briskets to put them in the #2 which is size identical to the 2DW.  In fact, I don't think there was ever anything I put in my #2 that I couldn't have fit in the #1.  However, the extra room to work in the smoker (insert probes, place product on shelves, etc.) was always really nice.  I never regretted having the extra space and I suspect the #1 would have made some things more of a chore.

My first smoke in the 3DW was beef jerky.  I ended up using every square inch of space on all four shelves, so it was nice having that extra 7" of depth  to work with.  That would have been the equivalent of 6 shelves in the #2 which would have forced me to do two separate smokes or to get creative.  I'm already coming to really appreciate the extra space of the 3 series.  If I ever decide to do two briskets at once then this extra space will allow me to do so easily.

As far as deciding between the 2DW, 3DW, and 3.5DW.  The general wisdom is to get the largest smoker you can afford and which fits in your space.  It sounds like you've already budgeted for the 3DW soi I would suggest you eliminate the 2DW as a contender.  That will get rid of some of the paradox of choice.  I got the #2 originally because it fit my budget and going larger, while possible, was uncomfortable from a cost perspective.  I never regretted my decision.  The only reason I 'upgraded' is because I got an incredible deal on a used 3DW. 

Regarding the Jerky Dryer...  it worked as described and seems well designed.  I would say it (or a fan of some kind like it) is absolutely necessary for making jerky.  I was tempted to suggest you consider the analog smokers until you brought up the fan.  I'm absolutely certain I could have done jerky in the #2, but it is nice having the more precise temperature control with the digital in this particular use case.

A thing you haven't mentioned is any kind of stand...  I don't actually love the stand, but I wouldn't want to be without it, a table, or some other kind of cart to raise the height of the smoker.  I started with the #2 without a cart and it was much harder to work with.  Of course, you can always start out with your smoker on the ground and raise it up in the future.

Let us know if you have additional questions...

I second getting the biggest smoker you can budget for.  I have a Smokin Tex 1400 which is equivalent to a #2 and really like the extra volume of the #3. I had intended to get a digital controller for my #3, but have since decided it isn't worth the hassle.

Making jerky without a dryer fan is pretty much impossible, not enough airflow to remove moisture for dehydration.  I made my own quite easily and it works very well, see my post in the Jerky section.

Welcome, also from MN. I have the #3 and it’s  a very fine unit. I struggled with whether I wanted the wi-if but went with the analog. Setting it and walking away and not obsessing over temps etc certainly does have its advantages IMO. Whatever you decide, I’m sure you will be pleased. Enjoy

Thanks for the replies

I am currently seasoning my smoker @ 250 for 4 hours with 3 of the wood blocks that came with the smoker.

I opened it at hour 2 to look at the wood when I noticed the smoke output died down a lot,

I have 2 questions, how often to most ppl add wood?  And which wood do you use?

Through reading the forums it is most recommended that I get the “Double filet” from smokinlicious.  Is this true and will it burn better than the wood blocks that were provided with the smoker?

Attachments

• D6DC0620-2EAA-48B0-9A05-D5A9A271D336.jpeg
    D6DC0620-2EAA-48B0-9A05-D5A9A271D336.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 175
Bowfineater said:
I opened it at hour 2 to look at the wood when I noticed the smoke output died down a lot,
I have 2 questions, how often to most ppl add wood?  And which wood do you use?

Never... I load it with the wood I want at the beginning of the smoke and I never add any.  I also never open the door until the smoke is complete unless I have a very compelling reason to do so.  With an actual load int he smoker you won't need to add any wood.  These smokers need very little wood and the smoke sticks around for a long time even once the wood is used up.  My four favorite woods so far are hickory, pecan, cherry, and apple.

When your seasoning is complete take a look and see if you ended up with ashes or 'charcoal'.  If ashes, your wood probably caught fire and combusted.  Depending on when this happened it could have used up the wood faster than if it didn't.  To prevent this I put a double thick layer of foil in the bottom of the smoke box (where the wood sits) and poke smaller holes than the existing ones.  This restricts airflow enough to prevent combustion. 

Through reading the forums it is most recommended that I get the “Double filet” from smokinlicious.  Is this true and will it burn better than the wood blocks that were provided with the smoker?

That is the preferred chunk size for most who order from smokinlicious.  While I'm tempted to drop the money on some premium wood from one of the frequently recommended sites, I've never felt an actual need to in over 2 years of smoking with big box store (true value, home depot) wood.  It puts out lots of great smelling smoke and never catches on fire with the foil in place as described above.  I just can't imagine premium wood making a big difference... it's all wood and whether it has close to 0% moisture or 2% moisture, the moisture is going to get 'cooked' out of it and it's going to smoke.  However, to be objective I either need to buy some or I need to find someone that lives near me who gets premium wood who's willing to give me 8oz. so I can test for myself.  :)

I agree with everything LarryD said.  These are very efficient on  smoke.  Get a digital scale and weigh your wood according to the suggested amounts.  Most smokes are only going to need between 2 and 6 oz.  add too much, and you will get a bitter taste from too much smoke.

Back